Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
danas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Historical SAN data per VM

Post by danas »

I was wondering if it is possible to access the datastore I/O info for a VM that was moved off of a given datastore. In my example, i moved a data disk from one datastore to another on Saturday, and now the data for that VM disk is gone from the original datastore. I was hoping to look at historical data and see how performance compared. Am i missing a setting or is this operating as expected? Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Historical SAN data per VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dana,

if you migrate VMs from one datastore to another, then historical performance can be reviewed if you click on the original datastore and then select custom reporting period to see the dates you need. Also you can review historical performance on the VM itself or its disks (Virtual Disk tab), again by selecting different reporting intervals.

Can you please clarify how exactly would you like to compare the graphs when VM was located on the other datastore?

Thank you!
danas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Post by danas »

Well, i found some of what i was looking for if i do a custom view on the VM itself. It lists the historical data and the new stuff on the same graph which is what i was looking for. The old storage was spinning media, the new is solid state so i wanted to see speed differences during real production loads. I liked the "Stacked VM" view from the storage perspective because i could compare iops across VMs to see if one was affecting another, but i dont seem to have that historic data any more. The VM i moved doesnt show up onthe old san, even when i do a custom period where it was on that datastore. Thanks!

Dana
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you see old performance data on that old datastore if you select stack by VMs view and custom period reporting?