Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
RMcquhae
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Robert McQuhae

SureBackup of a Netscaler VPX

Post by RMcquhae »

Hi All,

Is it possible to configure a SureBackup job to ignore the status of VMware tools?

I am trying to run an SureBackup job for my NetScalers (version 10.1 build 125 and build 123). However it is failing constantly when powering on. Error: Results: OS did not boot in the allotted time. I can confirm from the console and from the NetScaler management site that it is running, it is also responding to pings/SSH on the masqueraded IP address.
This appears to be caused by the version of VMware tools that is installed (this is a virtual appliance and there is no ability to upgrade or change the version of VMware tools http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topi ... r-con.html). The status is running (unsupported) within vCenter and there is no IP information passed on to vCenter.

I have Case # 00604225 for this. The workaround is to run an instant recovery or manually run the tests within SureBackup and extend the timeout. This really isn't an ideal solution, as I would like for this to be automated.

Cheers
Rob
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: SureBackup of a Netscaler VPX

Post by nefes »

SureBackup can test that VM booted correctly in two ways: by heartbeat from VMware tools and by ping.
The problem in your case is the ping is performed at the ip address that is returned by VMware tools (so ping test will always fail).
You could try to untick "VM responds to ping on any network interface" checkbox so SureBackup will check boot status only by hearbeat.
You could also add custom ping test in the scripts tab, if that VM have static ip.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Rob,

I don't think there is a way to ignore VMware Tools behavior, as even if you disable VM heartbeat verification there still could be issues with indication of OS boot state.

Thank you!
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Vitaliy, in the case you are linking VMware tools was not indicating heartbeat.
However Robert told that in his case status of tools is "running", so I suppose that heartbeat test should pass.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I saw that, but since vCenter Server reports tools status as unsupported, you cannot say for sure that the proposed workaround will work. The best way to check it is to test this configuration in Rob's lab.
RMcquhae
Novice

Post by RMcquhae »

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Have run it up in the lab and it doesn't go past the power on timeout error.

I have tested the Sure backup jobs a couple of times this morning adding a test script. Tested with the following options:
  • Both Heartbeat and Ping disabled
    Heartbeat enabled
    Ping enabled
They all fail at the power on status, with the Heartbeat/Ping/Script status being marked as skipped.

Cheers
Rob
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, I believe there is little we can do in this case, as we rely on information returned by VMware tools, and having those of unsupported version makes the whole process fail.

As to workaround, you might try to automate the following process, using combination of VB&R snap-in and PowerCLI:

1) Initiate Instant VM Recovery (VB&R snap-in).
2) Connect VM to the Virtual Lab isolated network (PowerCLI).
3) Power-on VM (PowerCLI).
4) Ping VM or check ports on which application is supposed to be listening (Windows cmd).

Thanks.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 » 1 person likes this post

I am running Netscaler 10.1 and surebackup runs OK. Now granted I do get warnings in the details and only the heartbeat test is run - but the overall job reports successful. Also VMware tools reports "Running (Current)" in vCenter.

What version of vCenter / ESX(i) are you running?
RMcquhae
Novice

Post by RMcquhae »

We are running vCenter 5.1 U1 Build 1123961 and ESXi 5.1 U1 1065491.

I'll try running up a lab with a later version of vCenter/ESX.
RMcquhae
Novice

Post by RMcquhae »

I've run up Netscaler 10.1 and 10.5 on both ESXi 5.1u2 and 5.5. All combinations are reporting as Running (unsupported). Unfortunately.

I'm going to give the Instant Recovery option a whirl and see how that goes.
RMcquhae
Novice

Post by RMcquhae » 3 people like this post

I know this is a little bit of a late reply, however this is now working with SureBackup.

The latest version of NetScaler 10.5 build 51.10 appears to have had an update to VMware tools, and I am now seeing that the NSIP is being reported within VMware. It is still being reported as unsupported, but there are no longer issues running the SureBackup jobs.

Please note, I have only tested this with ESX 5.1u1.