Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
bcscholl
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brian Scholl

Managing Failover with Replication

Post by bcscholl »

We have Regular back jobs running to backup 30 Hyper-V VMs from a Cluster to local storage.

We have licensing for an Off-Site DR Environment but how do we manage the failover during a disaster?
Lets say we loose our whole production environment, how do recover with the DR Backup Server?

Do We install Veeam on the DR Backup Server? Where should the backup/replication jobs exists for the DR Server?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Managing Failover with Replication

Post by veremin »

It's recommended to install additional VB&R server in DR site and let it orchestrate replication activity. If anything happens with production site, the failover/failback operations can be easily started from the remote site. Thanks.
bcscholl
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brian Scholl

Post by bcscholl »

How does licensing work then?
We have 8 CPU License installed at the On-Premises Backup Server. These are Licensed for the 4-node Hyper-V Cluster. If I install VB&R at the DR Site will we have to purchase more licenses?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, Veeam B&R is licensed per CPU socket of the source hosts, where replicated VMs reside. As long as all the source hosts are covered by the license, you can install as many Veeam B&R servers, as you need.
pantos21
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: pantos

[MERGED] : veeam replication console

Post by pantos21 »

Dear all
I am replicating some VM's to our DR site, the job works succsefully. I am planning to test our disaster recovery scenario, but i cannot find where should i install the veeam console at our DR site. I read the documentation but i couldnot find where should i install the console in case of disaster so i can perform a failover from the DR site. I only have the veeam console installed on our production site.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You'd better install backup console in target location and orchestrate replication activity from there. Thanks.
pantos21
Novice
Full Name: pantos

Post by pantos21 »

Thank you eremin
MindU
Novice
Full Name: Talor Oshmi

[MERGED] Veeam Replication Server on DR ?

Post by MindU »

Hi,

I have 2 HyperV servers (not in cluster) in the production that i replicate to one HyperV server on a remote DR site. (only 6 machine is been replicated.)
My question is: do i need a Veeam Replication server on the DR site ? what happens if all of my production enveirement falls, how can i manage the failover process if the Veeam replication server on the production is down ?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Talor,

You can either start VMs manually to the latest restore point via Hyper-V manager or use another approach which is described in this thread.

Hope this helps!
MindU
Novice

Post by MindU »

Thank you Vitaliy,

If I will install another VB&R server on the DR site, how can i orchestrate replication activity ? how is that actually work ? the two servers will sync the configuration ?
If I will just use the HyperV Manager to turn on the replicated machines, after the prod environment will be up again, can i use the VB&R server to do a Failback and replicate back all the written data from the replicated machines ? (even though i didnt preform the Failover from the VB&R ?) will the VB&R will know that a Failover happened ?

Regards!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

MindU wrote:If I will install another VB&R server on the DR site, how can i orchestrate replication activity ? how is that actually work ? the two servers will sync the configuration ?
No, you would need to create replication jobs on the DR instance, making it solely responsible for replication, while letting Veeam B&R instance in production site handle backups. The two instances will be fully independent, however you could use Enterprise Manager to have a visibility across both of them.
MindU wrote:If I will just use the HyperV Manager to turn on the replicated machines, after the prod environment will be up again, can i use the VB&R server to do a Failback and replicate back all the written data from the replicated machines ? (even though i didnt preform the Failover from the VB&R ?) will the VB&R will know that a Failover happened ?
No, in this case automatic failback operation from within Veeam B&R console will not be possible.
MindU
Novice

Post by MindU »

Thank you Alexander,

Is there any way to export the configuration from the Prod VB&R server and import it to the Vb&R server on the DR site ? I don't use the backup feature, only the replication feature so i don't need two servers right ? (Only one on the DR site?)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Sure, please review the corresponding user guide section.
MindU
Novice

Post by MindU »

Thanks again Alexander,

One last question, if the Vb&R serve will be only on the DR (insted of the Prod Environment) will it effect the replication performance/speed ?
Im replicationg two HyperV hosts from the prod to one HyperV host on the DR,total of 10 VM machine is replicatng, I'm using onhost transport service, the bendwith is 20 Mbps beetwin prod and DR site.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, it won't, since you will have the same proxy server deployment (on-host mode). The only difference is management console location, which does not affect performance of the replication jobs.
MindU
Novice

Post by MindU »

Thank you !

The VB&R server can be virtual ? (i'm not using backups, only replication feature)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, Veeam B&R server can be either virtual or physical.
MindU
Novice

Post by MindU »

Thank you , that would be all !!