Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Backup copy job chaining

Post by Yuki »

Hi all,
One of our clients started to off-site their backups to our data-center. It is done via a Backup Copy Job, but some clean-up is needed. RIght now the copy job monitors the backups "continuously" and is set to copy files a day old. Our backups run Mon-Friday, so Sat and Sunday there are no new backup files. This results in "Failed" status and sends these as a report, even though the backups didn't fail - there was no new restore point, that's all.

So to stop this, i want to chain the backup copy job to the actual on-site backup job - i can do this by copieing the command from Copy Job to run at the end of the main job, but how do i set the copy job to be enabled, yet not look for new restore points on its own?

Thanks all
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup copy job chaining

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can try to use the PowerShell trick mentioned in this thread to achieve what you want > BackupCopy Jobs - Only want M-Th jobs copied over
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

That's somewhat of a problem as our full compact happens on Saturday, so using this PS script would disable it as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

Yuki wrote: Our backups run Mon-Friday, so Sat and Sunday there are no new backup files. This results in "Failed" status and sends these as a report, even though the backups didn't fail - there was no new restore point, that's all.
This was fixed in Patch #4, and you will even find this exact use case given as the example for the corresponding resolved issue in the Release Notes ;)
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

Interesting, because we are running 7.0.0.871, which i believe is the patch 4!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is the build number corresponding to patch 4. If you feel you are still affected by this issue, feel free to contact technical support for verification.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yuki wrote:That's somewhat of a problem as our full compact happens on Saturday
Are you saying that you're performing compact full on weekly basis? There is no need to do that on so frequently, as hardly can the .vbk file get fragmented so fast. Thanks.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

We are doing once a month on Saturday.

Last night also received this error "7/22/2014 3:00:14 AM :: Copy interval has expired". Job was running for 8.5 hours.. I thought these would run for 24 hours or until the backup file gets locked/updated by main backup job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

24 hours since copy interval start time
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

So what will happen if i do the following:

1) main backup runs 9pm
2) leave copy job scheduled for 1am (which should be after main job completes)
3) chain copy job via run after main job completion feature

So if main job completes at 11pm, and copy starts due to #3 = what will happen at 1am? will it be restarted?

OR

1) main backup runs 9pm
2) copy set to run at 7pm (no changes detected obviously so it will not transfer anything)
3) chain main job via run command after completion?

will that work better?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'm not sure chaining backup copy job is a good idea, since it already runs continuously and copy interval is restarted every time when the specified period starts. In your suggested scenarios it will restart both on starting the job via post-job command and when the copy interval start time comes and the second case (7pm) will most likely allow you to avoid mentioned error (the copy interval will last longer).

That said, the recommended approach is to schedule backup copy as you suggest in the second scenario but without chaining, so that it could monitor the regular backup job and start transfer data once new backup files are available. However, seems that you're still affected by the "weekend issue" for some reason, so I recommend contacting support to verify that.