Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
wortontech
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kevin Worton

Dell TL2000 does not display slots

Post by wortontech »

Hi. I am pretty new to Veeam (using it for 2 weeks) but been in IT for the last 15 years.

Anyway here is the server spec:

Windows 2008 R2 with a TL2000 loader connected via SAS on a PERC 810. Veeam 7 installed on version 7.0.0.871. The Loader has an LTO4 drive in it and is updated to the latest firmware. The Windows server has Dell drivers version 6.2.3.3 Non Exclusive drivers on there.

This is the issue:

Within Veeam the Backup infrastructure shows the Loader as an IBM ULTRIUM 4 HH 350 Tape Drive. (Surely this should display the loader configuration?)

Upon initial installation there is no Media and there are no Media pools. The Drives show the single LTO4 drive in there. After Inventory (which takes about 10 seconds) there are no tapes within any slots. The only way for the tapes to populate is if I manually load the tape into the drive using the Dell Web Admin. Then the tape appears within the Veeam Console. This manages to back up, however I require the software to auto load the tapes from the slots.

What I expect is a list of media within the drive which is configured in the corresponding slot, however this does not appear to be appearing at all. All I see is the Tape drive with am Empty state if I dont manually load tapes. If I manually load the tape, the tape becomes online and then the loader can see the tape inside.

I have tried re-installing the driver, uninstalling the loader, rebooting the loader and rebooting the server. I have also tried wiping Veeam and Reinstalling.

Any ideas ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Dell TL2000 does not display slots

Post by foggy »

Kevin, could you please check how the loader is displayed in Device Manager? If it is displayed as Unknown Changer, then probably wrong drivers are installed and you should try to install loader drivers.
wortontech
Influencer

Post by wortontech »

Hi,

It is displaying the same as the Model used in Veeam:

IBM ULTRIUM 4 HH 3580 Tape Drive
Drivers are 6.2.3.3 and driver date within Device Manager is 10/29/2012.

These were downloaded and installed from here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erid=7NH5M
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You should see both tape drive and medium changer shown correctly there.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kevin,
Welcome on board!

Please take a look at this post in order to verify you use the same setup, as it seems this issue mostly refers to installed drivers in the system.

Thank you.
wortontech
Influencer

Post by wortontech »

I have had a look at device manager and it is still showing the Tape Drive but not the changer. I think this is a driver issue on Windows.

One thing to note, this is a Dell R710 with PERC 800 card (sorry not a 810)

I have updated the drivers to 6.2.4.1 with date 10/4/2013. It still only shows the tape device in Device Manager.

I have checked the post http://forums.veeam.com/tape-f29/veeam- ... 17787.html and followed a few things on there:

Uninstalled from Device Manager and rebooted the server. Still shows up as the single drive.
Refreshed the firmware on the TL2000 to C30 and rebooted this device.
Updated Windows update with all the relevant updates and patches.

Still no joy with this. I cant find any other drivers to install. The only other option is to totally wipe the server and start again but I want to do this as a last resort.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Yes, that seems odd. I would rather try to set up the same configuration on another windows server, or if possible another SAS card. Before doing that, please, check the library UI, there should be some control panel - possibly there is some mysterious option checked there, for example tape library partitioning or medium changer could be even disabled. The library system event log could be a good place so shed a light on what’s going on between library and your windows server.
wortontech
Influencer

Post by wortontech »

Thank for the replies on this.

I found a few issues within Windows Device Manager when looking at the System Devices I saw the Tape Enumerator and the Changer Enumerator using different driver versions.

I have removed everything from the server as far as drivers go now and cleared the registry down.

I am now in the process of defaulting back to all the MS drivers, and re-installing the Dell drivers. Will keep you posted.
wortontech
Influencer

Post by wortontech »

Hello,

Bit of an update. I removed the drivers again and then removed the tape library from the Veeam Config. Removed the Tape Enumerator devices from within windows. Rebooted the server and ran the Dell driver install again. Rebooted when it wanted to install the Tape Enumerator and then carried out the rest of the driver install. Rebooted again and went into Device Manager.

Still the same issue again.

Changed it from Random to Sequential on the loader, and checked all other settings on there. Nothing I could see would cause this. The tape went offline as expected and then I changed it back.

The server blue screened at this point, so I am beginning to think the server needs rebuilding. So will do that tomorrow and let you know how I get on with it. I found out that the Server had MS DPM installed before so I image there is something in the registry that is causing this to occur.

Fun and games :)
wortontech
Influencer

Post by wortontech » 1 person likes this post

Good news guys.

It appears that Microsoft DPM 2012 after uninstall does not put the defaults of the tape device pack on the PCI settings within windows.

Anyway, I have reinstalled and I am now seeing the tape drive and the loader in device manager. Thanks for all your help on this.

Right time to deploy a new DR site with a load of cisco stuff, and a few more servers with Veeam running. Wish me luck :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for getting back with this. I wish you good luck with your deployment, feel free to ask for any help regarding Veeam products, should it be required.