Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Veeam Backup File Size Balooning

Post by briguyiu »

We have all of our local backups with a retention of 7 days. We then ship those offsite using Backup Copies for 30 days. If you look at the file sizes of the 30 days offsite, there is a backup every 7th day that is almost double in size. Locally, there is one per 7 restore points of the same nature. Are there any logical explanations for this from a Veeam perspective, or should I be looking deeper at the data during this day when the backups are run?

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup File Size Balooning

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any maintenance tasks scheduled for this time on your VMs? Based on the observed pattern there is something going on in the VMs every weekend that generates enough changes to double the size of the local backups and remote ones.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

And the usual suspects here are defrag operations or some application maintenance (database compact, exchange maintenance...).
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Post by briguyiu » 2 people like this post

And this is why I love this forum. I had thought that maybe it was maybe the Deduping that we were doing in 2012 R2, but the schedules we set didn't operate during this time. The suggestions to look at the defrag operations, made me look deeper at the actual tasks involved in the deduplication, after I ruled out degrag and it's timeframe. Sure enough, there are jobs that run weekly at 2:55 and 3:45 AM every Saturday, that aren't set in the GUI at all. Thanks guys!!!!