Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Linux FLR - Hyper-V

Post by blodsbror »

Hi,

I'm testing out doing a FLR of a Linux VM that was backed up from Hyper-V 2012 R2 and ma having a few problems.
I set the Switch and IP information correctly, and it seems the FLR appliance deploys to the host ok. However, it then fails, and the appliance shows as status 'missing' and is in a stopped state, and the restore job fails with 'could not connect to IP XXX.XXX etc'

1. Where does the appliance try to put it's disk/s ? Can the appliance be created on hosts that use CSV's ?
2. All our VM's require VLAN's set to have any type of communication with other VM's. I couldn't see that this could be set anywhere ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Linux FLR - Hyper-V

Post by foggy »

blodsbror wrote:2. All our VM's require VLAN's set to have any type of communication with other VM's. I couldn't see that this could be set anywhere ?
Yes, currently there's no ability to specify VLAN ID for the appliance, so most likely this is the case of the issue (by default appliance gets VLAN ID = 0). As a workaround, you can try to set VLAN while the appliance is getting started or plug it into some dedicated network without VLAN tagging.

A good news is that the ability to specify VLAN ID will be added in v8.
blodsbror
Enthusiast

Post by blodsbror »

Thanks for the reply, and good news that it's possible to set VLAN's in V8!. Will an FLR appliance still be required to do Linux FLR's on Hyper-V ? Ths URL, mentions 'instant file level recovery' : http://go.veeam.com/high-speed-recovery ... l-Recovery

That said, I'm not sure this is 100% of the reason for it not working, as it seem's that the disks from the backup don't get attached. What is the default location for those to be restored to, and can that be changed ? If it's the C:, and your restoring a file from a VM that has a 90GB disk, and your C: doesn't have 90GB spare, then I assume the process will fail..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

VM disks are not restored entirely but rather mounted to the appliance VM directly from backup.
blodsbror
Enthusiast

Post by blodsbror »

Right I see. Well, until Veeam provides the possibility to set a VLAN for the FLR appliance in V8, I'm a little stuck. Is there something else I can do here ? At the moment I can't restore Linux files ..
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

If your backup console is a virtual machine, you can create private network on that host, add network card with that network to backup console and select it as a network for FLR appliance.