Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pjamme
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Jam

New v7 User Issues

Post by pjamme »

I had used version 6 successfully in the past (free version) I just installed v7 on a Windows 7enterprise 64-bit and have 2 issues I cannot figure out.
The main issue is that the "Default Backup Repository" set by Veeam is Drive C: rather than my external 3TB USB disk. I cannot figure out how to change it to drive E:, in fact I saw soewherwe it could not be configured in the Free version??
The other issue is the computer sounds like a machine gun when I open the program as if t is trying to access something.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New v7 User Issues

Post by foggy »

pjamme wrote:The main issue is that the "Default Backup Repository" set by Veeam is Drive C: rather than my external 3TB USB disk. I cannot figure out how to change it to drive E:, in fact I saw soewherwe it could not be configured in the Free version??
Peter, in Veeam Backup Free Edition, you cannot configure backup proxies and backup repositories.
pjamme wrote:The other issue is the computer sounds like a machine gun when I open the program as if t is trying to access something.
Do you mean hard disk performs some activity on the applications start? Do you find this behavior exclusive to Veeam B&R or you see similar behavior with other applications?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Even though the repository role can't be assigned in free product version, you can just select a given external device as a target for VeeamZIP without any issues. Thanks.
pjamme
Novice

Post by pjamme »

foggy,
Yes as soon as I open Veeam and open the program to This Server it sounds like it is trying to access something.
I saw i the Help file that the free version you cannot configure the Repository, I was concerned since this computer has a small C:\ drive (only 75GB Free).
Eremin,
I will give VeeamZip a try, other wise it is an uninstall. I would fill up the C:\ drive and more with a single VMWare server backup.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I will give VeeamZip a try, other wise it is an uninstall.
You've mentioned that you're using free product version, right? If so, the VeeamZIP should be the only backup option available for you. Thanks.
pjamme
Novice

Post by pjamme »

Thanks Eremin,
If that goes well, i guess I will check out the cost of the paid version. I don't have a clue how much.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can find information regarding prices or resellers available in your region here. Thanks.
pjamme
Novice

Post by pjamme »

Since I am going to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 this summer to protect Physical servers it looks Like the Essentials Suite standard will be the ticket.
Thanks for the help and have a great day.
pjamme
Novice

Post by pjamme »

Eremin,
Apparently VeeamZip does not work on Free ESXi boxes either. I tried twice, and once using Guest Processing. Installed the cumulative patch 4 and got same error. Please see below:
7/25/2014 9:50:59 AM :: SetVmChangeTracking failed, vmRef '1', changeTrackingEnabled 'True'
Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.
7/25/2014 9:51:01 AM :: Creating VM snapshot
7/25/2014 9:51:10 AM :: Error: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There is a note about this right in the product download area:
Note: Free vSphere Hypervisor (free ESXi) is not supported. vSphere Essentials or higher license level required.
pjamme
Novice

Post by pjamme »

Thanks Foggy,
Not good news me thinks

I don't understand why v6 on a Windows 2003 32-bit server had worked last year.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

VMware specifically blocks vStorage API for Data Protection in free ESXi to prevent other vendors to be able to backup such hosts. However, some API restrictions have been accidentally removed in certain vSphere versions.