Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
WolfgangA
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wolfgang Aste

Help! Failed to inventory guest. Cannot get host information

Post by WolfgangA »

Hi all,

I am a newbie into VeeAm and have installed and using it for the first time. Installation went fine, and now the first full backup of my SBS 2011 server brings now up all these warnings.

Code: Select all

Failed to inventory guest system: Cannot get host information. Cannot collect host info. Microsoft SharePoint farm topology collector process is failed with exit code -1 Win32 error:The operation completed successfully. Code: 0
Unable to release guest. Details: VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout
Sharepoint on this SBS is not used nor running, however it is installed. Exchange 2010 is used and critical as well as all other stuff on that server. There is also another VM running with Win 2008 Std and BES and SQl, and that backup worked fine.

What I can see from the event log on the SBS server, is that Exchange backup seems have not worked properly. Exchange logs have not been flushed, and there are no event ID's

2006 - Information Store (1240) Shadow copy instance 6 completed successfully.
225 - Information Store (1240) Public Folder Database..
224 - Information Store (1240) Archive1: Deleting log files F:\...

Instead I have this event ID very soon after the backup job started:

2007 - Information Store (1012) Shadow copy instance 1 aborted.

Prior to Veeam I used a local installed BackupAssist application running on the SBS server which worked fine but too slow. I wanted to reduce burden on the server, and also to be able to backup the other VM's and with better performance, and saw a good reputation and feedback for Veeam, thats why I choosed it to replace.

What can I do and need to do to get this issue sorted? What are the best next steps?

Thanks for any constructive help!

Regards
Wolfgang
WolfgangA
Novice

Re: Help! Failed to inventory guest. Cannot get host informa

Post by WolfgangA »

Just noticed that I should give the ticket ID here. 00607282
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have you tried to give sysadmin role on the SharePoint SQL to the account specified for the Application Aware Image Processing? Also, what are the AAIP settings, especially, log truncation ones? Thanks.
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Post by lp@albersdruck.de » 1 person likes this post

This might be totally unrelated, but if you never used Sharepoint on SBS 2011 it might be in a half-upgraded state, i.e. you installed windows updates for Sharepoint, but you need to run some commands on powershell as well for the update to complete.
(Don't ask me why or how; I just stumbled upon that after I chased down some errors in event viewer regarding VSS.)

See http://oxfordsbsguy.com/2012/12/14/patc ... -psconfig/ for an explanation and how-to.

As I said, that can be totally unrelated and unnecessary for your installation, but it might help.
WolfgangA
Novice

Post by WolfgangA »

v.Eremin wrote:Have you tried to give sysadmin role on the SharePoint SQL to the account specified for the Application Aware Image Processing? Also, what are the AAIP settings, especially, log truncation ones? Thanks.
Yes I did, does not help.
WolfgangA
Novice

Post by WolfgangA »

lp@albersdruck.de wrote:... if you never used Sharepoint on SBS 2011 it might be in a half-upgraded state, i.e. you installed windows updates for Sharepoint, but you need to run some commands on powershell as well for the update to complete. ... See http://oxfordsbsguy.com/2012/12/14/patc ... -psconfig/ for an explanation and how-to..
Could be, however so far I can not get. The Sharepoint "upgrade needed" status query command replies "no Sharepoint farm available". During migration from SBS 2003 (where Sharepoint worked but never used) the Sharepoint migration was the only thing that failed to migrate. However, because it is not needed, I did not tried to fix this item at the time, particularly because I have not much knowledge around this bit.

And it was not a problem for BackupAssist, it could accurately backup the whole SBS machine including VSS snapshots and bypassing Sharepoint.

However, now Veeam is not able to do so, and now I have NO CONSISTENT BACKUP of Exchange, which is a serious issue! :(

Seems, there might be two ways now: make VEEAM skipping Sharepoint or fixing Sharepoint to make VEEAM working. The latter seems to be a big effort for a product the firm does not need, very odd.

The Sharepoint Product Config Wizard fails always at step 2 with "group already exists", but have deleted the WSS_WPG account and did not help. It seems to be something different, that is still existing somewhere, or a reference for this... I have no clue :cry:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You still didn't tell anything about the log truncation settings. Also, the mentioned warning should not affect Exchange backup consistency, the only thing it affects is automatic detection of Exchange server topology upon restore.

Anyway, it's better to keep working with our support team with this technical issue, rather then to investigate everything yourself or with the help of forum correspondence.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Another thing that might help is disabling/removing VSS provider for SharePoint, this should make Veeam job skip collecting data about SharePoint farms. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Wolfgang, can you confirm that you've tried the suggestions given in the this topic, already referred to above?