Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Frenkels
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Frenkels

Full taking over 50hrs, Exchange offline for 20hrs

Post by Frenkels »

Our full backup of our main server is taking over 50 hours during this period, our exchange server goes offline for approx 20 Hours.
A support case has not been opened yet as I'm sure its more of the system not being setup correctly.
I've gotten advice previously on the matter and have heard "That's normal" to "That is definitely not right".

Hopefully I could get some advice as to if this is correct and if not, what steps that can be done to reduce the backup time and also minimise the exchange outage.

We are on ESXi 5.0.0, with 3 virtual servers. Veeam (B&R 6.5) is installed on one of those virtual servers and backups are being done to a USB attached to the host server.
Full Backup
Duration: 52:17:18
Processing Rate: 8 MB
Bottleneck: Target

Processed: 1.5 TB (100%)
Read: 1.4TB
Transferred: 917.7GB (1.6x)

Load: Source 4% > Proxy 21% > Network 0% > Target 99%

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Full taking over 50hrs, Exchange offline for 20hrs

Post by foggy »

Tone, do you use USB passthrough to connect your backup target to the Veeam B&R VM? Not the best setup in terms of performance.
Frenkels
Novice

Post by Frenkels »

Yes, am using USB Passthrough... I think (Connecting USB to host, then Editing Virtual Machine Settings and adding USB through there)

Is there a better way to do this?
I'll also mention that previously that backing up to a NAS has been recommended previously, but I thought bandwidth through USB would be better then a 100mb NIC.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Only if you use fast usb connections and configurations like 2.0 or 3.0, default configurations uses 1.1 that is terribly slow...
Here are some informations about different usb configurations on ESXi:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1022290
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Frenkels wrote:Is there a better way to do this?
You might try to find some decommissioned physical server or existing one, stuff it with bunch of locally attached drivers, and assign repository role on it. Keep using VB&R as a Hot Add proxy and upgrade to the latest product version.

Thanks.
Frenkels
Novice

Post by Frenkels »

v.Eremin, Are there steps or a guide to do this?
I am reading up on the repository and proxy. http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... cture.html
Would it not be better just to install veeam onto a physical server if I can get one? We have an old server, but I'm not sure what storage it has.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There are no specific steps, since the procedure is pretty easy. Provide a physical server with several locally attached drives and assign repository role to it. Meanwhile, let virtual backup server perform a role of Hot Add proxy.

Since you already have some physical server, I'd recommend creating a tiny small job and pointing it to the said device. This way, you will understand whether this target is likely to give a better performance than USB passthrough repository does.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Here's a good topic regarding recommendations for backup storage, worth reviewing. Location of the Veeam B&R console itself doesn't matter, performance is defined mostly by the proxy and repository servers specs and location.