Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
r.mckeon
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick McKeon

Backup job failed - Failed to open VDDK disk

Post by r.mckeon »

Please note I have already opened a support case [Case # 00607356] but have yet to receive a suitable response. I have already searched through these forums and Veeam KB looking for a solution, I then opened a support case only to receive the same KB as an answer, so that's why I'm posting this here.

I have created a new backup job for a new VM in my environment. The Veeam B&R 6.5 is running on a physical server and is connected to a vCenter 5.0, which has two hosts in a cluster. The VM files are stored on datastores which are mounted from iSCSI LUNs on an EqualLogic SAN. The backup jobs are set to run in Direct SAN mode. The VM is a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM.

I have around 10 other jobs running without problems, all with the same settings/proxy/credentials and on the same VM environment.

With this particular VM I get the following error when the backup job tries to run (I changed some names around for security purposes):

Code: Select all

24/07/2014 08:54:54 :: Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[DS-VM1] VM 1/VM 1.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [Vcenter.domain.local];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-8554];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-8985];Transports: [san];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors:
The Veeam server has proper access rights to the iSCSI LUNs belonging to the VM in question, exactly like with the other LUNs. No passwords have been changed.

I never had this issue when creating the other backup jobs, and the infrastructure this new VM is on is exactly the same. I'm completely stumped.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Backup job failed - Failed to open VDDK disk

Post by Gostev »

Hi Rick,

I see you have only opened the case a few hours ago, so it's definitely premature to escalate it to the forums. You should follow the standard support process - go through the troubleshooting steps the provided support KB article explains, and if nothing listed there help, let the support engineer know this, so that he could perform further troubleshooting, perhaps via webex. We don't provide support through these forums, as explained when you click New Topic.

Based just on the information above, its hard to say anything when I don't even see the actual error in your post above (log above looks to be truncated just at where the actual error appears). You should upload the debug logs to your support case, and let our engineers investigate those.

Generally speaking, if there are other VMs on the same LUN that are being backed up fine by the same proxy, then this would indicate environmental issue with that single VM. So as the first troubleshooting step, I would check out the VM more closely, and see what is different about it from VMware perspective.

Thanks!
r.mckeon
Enthusiast

Post by r.mckeon »

You're right, the log is truncated...because that's what I found in the logs when the backup job failed. I pasted the error as it was given to me by both Veeam B&R and Veeam Enterprise Manager.

The engineer just responded with another KB, I will check it out and revert.

Thanks for the feedback
r.mckeon
Enthusiast

Post by r.mckeon » 1 person likes this post

For whoever has the same issue, the solution was that I had to manually add the iSCSI LUNs to the Windows Server that Veeam is running on. I had to go to Control Panel > iSCSI Initiator, discover the LUNs and manually connect them. After that the job worked flawlessly.