Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Websterm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eduardo Nóbrega

GFS with Backup Copy

Post by Websterm »

Hi,

I have some doubts about using GFS with Backup Copy

Today we use TMMS to do backups and now we are implementing Veeam

I have the following retention today
Daily - 7 days
Weekly - every saturday for 30 days
Montly - every last day of month for a year
Yearly - last day of year for 5 years

Now with Veeam I need to do almost the same but i think i don't need the Weekly option because i'll use Reversed Incremental option for the whole month and the Backup Copies will stay only on disk and not in tape. I'll replicate all to a storage in another site.
My doubt is how to do that because i saw in other topics that i need to use Backup Copy and create repositories to the same storage but in different folders to organize everything.
And how can i configure the Backup Copy job because i don't understand the "Copy Every:" in the first screen and the "Restore points to keep" in the third screen if i have the option to set Weekly, Montly, Quartely and Yearly restore points in the same screen

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: GFS with Backup Copy

Post by veremin »

Websterm wrote:And how can i configure the Backup Copy job because i don't understand the "Copy Every:" in the first screen and the "Restore points to keep" in the third screen if i have the option to set Weekly, Montly, Quartely and Yearly restore points in the same screen
Since your weekly requirements will be covered by backup job, then, you can set backup copy job the following way:

1) Copy every interval: 30 days (create restore point in target location once a month).
2) Simple retention: whatever number of monthly worth restore points you want to keep.
3) Enable GFS.
4) Yearly: whatever number of yearly worth restore points you want to keep.

GFS mechanism is explained here; please, take a look.

Thanks.
Websterm
Influencer

Post by Websterm »

thanks for the help

I've already read this article and the VMware best practices for deployment & configuration and understood my retention is a default one, but still don't understand some items

First i create a Backup Job with 30 restore points to keep on disk using Reversed and run the job and that's OK, then i create a backup copy job that will copy my backup job to another place according to the configuration and here is my problem.

.Where i will save this copy? I need to create a new repository in a different folder for Montly and Early?
.Still don't undertood that "Copy every: 1 day at midnight" that come as default in the Backup Copy Wizard first screen
.On the wizard third screen how many restore points i use? Because i have the same option when i tick "keep the following restore for archival purposes" that i think is the GFS

Someone have a example of configuration that i can change to my retention needs?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Websterm wrote:.Where i will save this copy? I need to create a new repository in a different folder for Montly and Early?
In a repository specified as a target for a backup copy job. No new folders will be created for GFS restore points.
Websterm wrote:.Still don't undertood that "Copy every: 1 day at midnight" that come as default in the Backup Copy Wizard first screen
Copy every interval relates to how often a backup copy job should create a new restore point in target location. In your case, you set 30 days as a copy interval. This way, new restore point will be created once a month, covering your monthly requirements perfectly.
Websterm wrote:.On the wizard third screen how many restore points i use? Because i have the same option when i tick "keep the following restore for archival purposes" that i think is the GFS
As the backup copy job will copy restore point once a month, "in the restore points to keep" section you should set a number of monthly worth restore points you want to keep. Then, you should enable GFS (keep the following restore points for archival purposes"), and set there a number of yearly restore points you're willing to preserve.

Thanks.
Websterm
Influencer

Post by Websterm »

That's great now i can understand it better. Usually work only with VMware not backup

About the repository. If i'll use the same storage to keep the Montly and Yearly backup (all replicated to another site with storage soft) can i use the same backup repository or i'll have problems with filename? I think (not sure) that create a repository in the same storage pointing to a new folder is better.

So to be sure the backup and backup job config should be like:

-Backup Jobs
.Restore points to keep on disk: 30
.Reversed Incremental

-Backup copy job
.Copy every: 30 days - starting time after backup job finishes
.Restore points to keep: 12 (for the twelve months i need)
.Weekly backup: 0
.Montly backup: 0
.Quarterly backup: 0
.Yearly backup: 5 - last day of year

This 12 restore points are incremental right, so the next will have only the changes of the month?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Websterm wrote:About the repository. If i'll use the same storage to keep the Montly and Yearly backup (all replicated to another site with storage soft) can i use the same backup repository or i'll have problems with filename?
As mentioned, the same repository will be used for storing both ordinary and GFS restore points. This approach will work without any issues whatsoever.
Websterm wrote:This 12 restore points are incremental right, so the next will have only the changes of the month?
Yep, they will be incremental. The size of monthly worth changes might be similar to the size of full backup, though.

Thanks.