Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kmile
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kamil Smagorzewski

[SOLVED] Replication Failure (Veeam 7 Patch 2)

Post by kmile » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Our replication jobs to a remote DR site (over WAN) were running flawlessly until 8 DEC 2013. All of a sudden all of them started failing with the following message:
Processing 'DATASERVER' Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[msa-2012i-shared2] DATASERVER_replica/DATASERVER-000003.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [false] )
Failed to open VMDK.
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [VC5.DOMAIN.LOCAL];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-2565];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-28562];Transports: [hotadd:nbd];Read Only: [false]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to process [srcReplicateVddkDiskContent] command.
An existing connection was forcibly closed

We were on Veeam 7 when this started occurring and decided to upgrade to 7 patch 2 hoping the error would go away but it did not.
I spent a lot of time trying to get to the bottom of the problem but with no success - until this morning. I found the following article posted 4 days ago and this was my exact issue:http://www.blackforce.co.uk/2013/12/05/ ... -vddk-disk

I found that the Target Proxy server had a lot of disks attached. The disks happened to be ones that belong to the replicas that were failing. I removed them and the replication job is now working (I cannot confirm for 100% as yet as it is still running) but it is looking more promising.

Is this a known error/bug?

Regards,
Kamil
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replicat Failure (Veeam 7 Patch 2)

Post by foggy »

Kamil, it would be great if you could open a case as there are currently no known issues regarding that, according to QC. Thanks.
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Post by mdornfeld »

Just ran into this same issue. The fix noted in http://www.blackforce.co.uk/2013/12/05/ ... -vddk-disk worked for me as well. Thanks for the heads up kmile!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It seems that Hot Add proxy didn't unmount disks failed server, which in its turn resulted in failed job. Once the were manually unmounted, everything started to work as expected.

Anyway, thank for taking your time and confirming that the referenced workaround did its job for you.

Thanks.