Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ManuelRighi
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Manuel Righi

Offsite backup strategy

Post by ManuelRighi »

Hello,
I need to backup offsite 16 VM's, for a total of 12 Tb (compressed by Veeam Backup).
2 site's is connected with fiber channel 20M/20M.

Source site have Veeam Backup on physical server with single quad-core cpu, 8 Gb of ram and local storage/repository for Veeam Backup's with 12 SATA HD with RAID50.
Remote site have Veeam Backup on physical server with single height-core cpu, 16gb of ram and local storage/repository for Veeam Backup's with 12 SAS HD with RAID50.

On source site I have 2 backup job: one with 15 VM's (1 Tb) and another with 1 VM (11 Tb).
Both backup job mode is Incremental (with enable synthetic fulls and transform previous full backup chains file on disk to save).

Now, how to transfer all this data in the remote site?
Now, the idea is to make a backup copy job (of the backup job) (with data transfer mode "direct") and transport physically the backup to the remote site.
Change the backup copy job for mapping it to the remote repository on remote site and change data transfer mode to "built-in WAN accelerators".

It's correct what should I do?
It's a problem for backup copy job when I change data trasfer mode from "direct" to "built-in WAN accelerators" ? Or backup copy job continue correctly with incremental copy ?

There are better solutions?
That bottlenecks could I have ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite backup strategy

Post by foggy »

Manuel, seeding backup copy job is the way to go in this case. Please review this topic for the step-by-step seeding procedure. Changing transfer mode is not required, you can set it to WAN accelerated mode from the very first run. Target WAN cache speed is typically the bottleneck.
ManuelRighi
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Manuel Righi

Post by ManuelRighi »

foggy wrote:Manuel, seeding backup copy job is the way to go in this case. Please review this topic for the step-by-step seeding procedure. Changing transfer mode is not required, you can set it to WAN accelerated mode from the very first run. Target WAN cache speed is typically the bottleneck.
Thanks foggy, but the backup file (from backup copy job) which transport physically to the remote site, must be a single full backup file ? Or it can be a full backup plus some increments?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it should be a brand new backup chain containing just a single full backup file, without any increments.