Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Seeding from backup copy job

Post by y1008946 »

Hi, I've copied our VMs to use as seed to a USB hard drive.

The backup copy interval expired just before the job finished, so I have an incomplete full backup, and an increment which is ok.

The number of restore points in the backup is one.

Can I use this as a seed?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Seeding from backup copy job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Do you want to use seeding for your primary job or for the new run of the backup copy? Also what do you mean "you copied" VMs? If you have created a single full backup file for these VMs, then you can use this as a seeding for your backup copy job. Please search these forums for more information on backup copy job seeding.

Thanks!
y1008946
Enthusiast

Post by y1008946 »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have created a backup copy job with 10 VMs which I synced to a USB hard drive.

The plan is to copy this onto a DR server offsite, remap the backup copy job target to the DR server repository, and then sync the job.

I've done this successfully a few times in the past.

The problem or query I have this time, is that the backup copy job to the USB hard drive didn't complete before the backup copy interval expired.

So the last VM didn't get copied in the full backup file. It is in an incremental file. For the backup copy job it shows as

Incremental - ok
Full backup - incomplete

The number of restore points for all the 10 VMs shows as one

Can I use this backup copy job for a seed?

Or does it need a complete full backup?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'm not sure that it would work, but you can give it a try. Additionally, please check out this existing topic on backup copy seeding options > Seeding v7 backup copy. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

y1008946 wrote:I've done this successfully a few times in the past.
When you did the same procedure in the past, did the chain have only a full backup or it had increments, as well? In the latter case, most likely you will be successful with seeding this time. Thanks.
y1008946
Enthusiast

Post by y1008946 »

Hi, thanks for your replies.

It seems to be working ok, it had one Full Backup which was incomplete and one increment which was complete.

While processing the first VM the WAN connection appears to have dropped for a few seconds, Veeam seems to have stopped processing that VM and moved onto another one. It failed while it was 'Synchronizing global cache from target'

When it has processed the other VMs will it pickup where it left off when the connection was lost? Or will we have problems because it failed during 'Synchronizing global cache from target'?
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Please avoid posting log snippets in these forums, as it is described in our forum rules. As to the situation you have, then if WAN accelerators are used in the backup copy jobs, then after connection drops your jobs will pick up where they left off.

Thanks!