Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Clound Connect - central console?

Post by frankive »

As a VCP today we have dedicated vpn-tunnels to each customer. We install a proxy at the customer site and manage all the jobs directly from a central console.
With the new Veeam Cloud Connect (I read the blog by Luca) it seems that we should deploy a console on each customer site and then enable a backup copy job to the cloud repository, is that correct?
Will we still be able to setup the jobs at our central console in the datacentre or will we need to login to the each customers site to run the jobs?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Clound Connect - central console?

Post by veremin »

You're right in assuming that the backup console is required in customer's site to use a given service provider as a secondary destination for a backup data. Though, the tenants' management, resource allocation, etc. is done via central service provider console.

Thanks.
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov » 2 people like this post

Frank,

I assume you are providing fully managed backup services, i. e. your customers do not have administrative access to their backups and do not touch data protection (except maybe initiating restores via Enterprise Manager). Cloud Connect is designed for a different use case - organizations managing data protection themselves wanting to store their backups off-site and not having appropriate resources for that. It does not mean that you cannot use Cloud Connect for managed backup services but there really are only two advantages of Cloud Connect over the model you use right now - simplified VPN-less connection and quotas/reports. And as you most likely provide not only backup services but manage customer virtual infrastructure in general, you need VPN to customer site anyway so most likely rearchitecting the service is not worth it in this case.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

Hi.
Thanks for great feedback.
It is correct that we manage all the services for the customer, so we prefer to have a vpn-solution anyhow so I will stick to this solution for now.
I guess there is also a possibility to delpy these roles so we can have this service together with exsting infrastructure.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

ssimakov wrote:there really are only two advantages of Cloud Connect over the model you use right now - simplified VPN-less connection and quotas/reports
Only two and a few more ;) for example, automated load balancing between cloud gateways for performance and redundancy. Perhaps not something most VPN-based solutions out there will deliver, unless they are very complex, redundant and well thought out.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Let alone, automation via PowerShell snap-in and integration into an existing portal via RESTful API.