Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stephaneb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephane Bourdeaud

Is it possible to restore multiple VMs in one job?

Post by stephaneb »

Hi,

In my backup job, I select a resource pool as the source. The resource pool contains dozens of VMs.
Assuming I want to restore the deleted resource pool and all the VMs it contains, is it possible to do so in a single job?

In the GUI, it seems i am only able to select one VM per restore job, and I have to manually specify the resource pool and datastore destination.
Does it not remember where the VM was?

Regards,

stephaneb
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Is it possible to restore multiple VMs in one job?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Stephane,

Yes, right now you should manually specify the location (resource pool and datastore) as well as the restore point for each VM that you want to restore. But we are planning to add restore job in the future releases. Generally it is not very common scenario to restore multiple VMs at once, which is why this feature had lower priority.

Thank you for your feedback!
stephaneb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephane Bourdeaud

Re: Is it possible to restore multiple VMs in one job?

Post by stephaneb »

Vitaly,

First of all, thank you for the reply.

I agree that restoring a bunch of VMs in a single job is not a likely scenario, but in an ideal world, so is restoring a single VM. : )
In fact, we rely on products like Veeam Backup & Replication like we rely on insurance: if things go bad, it is there to make sure we can recover.

Having the possibility to restore a bunch of VMs to their original locations would be, in my opinion, a solid feature and a strong selling argument because it protects you against things like:
  • human error on a datastore
    deleting a vApp by accident
    losing part of your SAN
    anything that would make a bunch of vms unavailable : )
After all, I would not expect my insurance to require that I file a separate insurance claim for all the items that were stolen from my house if i get robbed.
And me getting robbed is indeed an unlikely scenario where I live... Still, I would not buy an insurance policy on my house that would not cover robbery ; )

Regards,

S.Bourdeaud