Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itig
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: ITIG

Veeam configuration question

Post by itig »

Hi, I've got a Physical Veeam backup server attached to tape library.

I also have 2 proxy server for the HotAdd process.

We just bought a Data Domain 2500, so I create a CIFS share and mapped it on my physical server.

Right now my job are running on a VMFS datastore attached on my virtual proxy server. I want to transfer the job to my CIFS repository.

What is the best backup configuration I have to use for my backup?

- Job are going to tape every week so I've configure my job with 1 restore point to keep on disk, incremental with synthetic full on friday.

Do I need to enable "Align backup file data blocks" and "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" on my CIFS repository?
Do I need to change "Backup job"-->"Storage"--"Advanced"-->"Storage" settings?

My goal is to have the faster backup as possible.

My test (with the same settings) is synthetic full backup is running in 8min on my VMFS local storage on my virtual machine to 3h on my CIFS storage connected on my physical server.

Thanks for your help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam configuration question

Post by foggy »

Incremental backup is the quickest one (apart from the days synthetic full is scheduled on).

Our recommendations for DataDomain are using dedupe-friendly compression and keeping all other settings at their defaults (i.e. not selecting align data blocks check box).

Difference in times taken by synthetic full is explained by the fact that in case of CIFS storage it is performed by the agent installed on the physical server over network. If hotadd mode is used, data retrieved by the proxy is first transferred to the repository server and then written to the target. In case of VMFS storage attached directly to the proxy, all the activity is performed locally.
itig
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: ITIG

Post by itig »

Thanks for your reply

So should I get rid of my proxy servers and keep only my physical server to backup?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Do you have the ability to use direct SAN mode for backups?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

itig wrote:My test (with the same settings) is synthetic full backup is running in 8min on my VMFS local storage on my virtual machine to 3h on my CIFS storage connected on my physical server.
In case of dedupe repository, you'd better use active full backup instead of synthetic one. The former mode should be faster, as it doesn't involve any transformation activity.

Thanks.