Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
andy70
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Fromming

VBK's to tape

Post by andy70 »

Hi

I'm new to Veeam and so far everything works great - we're very pleased to finally get rid of Symantec Backup Exec.
My question to you guys is about my approach to get a monthly backup to tape.

My jobs are running a daily reversed incremental to disk with 30 restore points with no active full backups. Then, once a month, I want to copy the latest full to tape. I don't want the 30 restore points copied to tape - just the latest full.
As far as I've read documentation, a reversed incremental only creates one vbk file which is always the latest full. I've created a "file to tape job" which I point to repository and then masked it to only copy *.vbk files.
It seems to work and I can import back to disk and restore files/VM's/applications, etc.

Is this a valid method to get latest full to tape? How do you guys do it?

Cheers
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VBK's to tape

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi..
if you have Standard Version this is a good solution.
If you have Enterprise or Enterprise Plus, check out "Backup to Tape" job.
B&R is then aware if the restore points on tape... no import needed then.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is this a valid method to get latest full to tape? How do you guys do it?
Be aware that you will still need to perform a full backup from time to time. So, there will be situations when a tape job (either files to tape or backup to tape) will copy two or more .vbk files - the latest one and one created in accordance with full backup schedule.

If you want to copy only the latest full backup no matter what, then you might want to try this workaround, which includes deleting backups from backup console and running new full.

Thanks.
andy70
Novice

Post by andy70 »

Hi

Thanks for quick response.

I forgot about best practise to make an active full backup from time to time in reversed inc chain.

Until Veeam implements a "backup only latest full to tape"-option (please do in V8, it would be a really nice feature - seems like I'm not the only one who'd apprecitate this feature), I'll try to fidde with the scheduling/restore points/actve full backup.

I want to avoid manual opertations before monthly backup to tape, so for now I guees I'll have to live with two or more vbk's on tape....anyway, the "worst" impact is unnecessary waste of tape.

Cheers
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Patrick,
Until Veeam implements a "backup only latest full to tape"-option (please do in V8, it would be a really nice feature - seems like I'm not the only one who'd apprecitate this feature)
Currently the plan is to provide such functionality in v8.
andy70
Novice

Post by andy70 »

Currently the plan is to provide such functionality in v8.
Brilliant :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, stay tuned. For now, as you’ve pointed out rightly, the only you will have is one additional backup copied to tape mediums once in two or three months. Thanks.