Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Replication staging?

Post by danas »

Are there any plans to allow staging of replication data? For example if i have a physical B&R server replicating across the WAN to my DR site, can it (or will it be able to) grab the replication data from my local SAN and copy it to the local B&R server storage and then move it across the WAN? This would allow the replication source VM environment to utilize my LAN speeds for the initial replication. does that make sense? Thanks!!

Dana
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication staging?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dana,

If you're referring to replica seeding, then it is already available for exactly this kind of scenario.

Thanks!
danas
Influencer

Post by danas »

Seeding is when you put a backup or initial image on the remote site, correct? That is not what i mean. I am hoping for the ability to take the incremental changes from each job and stage them on a local repository before syncing them to the remote image. That way a replication job could finish touching production much faster and then trickle the changes out to the remote proxy to be applied to the replicas off site.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

So you are basically talking about replica from backup functionality, coming along with other replica enhancements right in the next release.
danas
Influencer

Post by danas »

I suppose you could put it that way. But it would be using a replica schedule. so every 15 mins if thats what you need. I am currently dealing with a perfect example of an issue that would be helped by this functionality. I have an exchange VM that can take a while to replicate at wan speeds. The job has been going for over 24 hours, and so my backups are effectively "paused" because of that vm being locked by replication. If it had the ability to write those replication changes to the LAN first, it would be able to release the vm much sooner for the backups. Sounds like this kind of functionality might be coming though?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

danas wrote:Sounds like this kind of functionality might be coming though?
Correct.