Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
drdale1113
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dale

Dedupe appliance numbers when using Optimal compression

Post by drdale1113 »

I'm looking for some insight on what kind of dedupe numbers I would see from an applaince when leaving compression at Optimal. Has anyone done this?

The reason I can't go to Dedupe Friendly is the size of the backups increase too much and at this time I have to get these backups in to TSM to get them offsite.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Dedupe appliance numbers when using Optimal compression

Post by veremin »

The reduction rates depend on type of the data stored inside VM - how well it can be deduplicated and compressed. For instance, you wouldn't expect impressive deduplication/compression rates from the VM storing .jpeg images mainly. The rule of thumb is 50 %, though. Because typically you won't see ratios less than that.

Thanks.
drdale1113
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dale

Post by drdale1113 »

So I should see 50% dedupe ratio on something like an Exagrid even after I set it Optimal compression?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You should see at least 50% with Veeam B&R default settings on any raw storage. Dedupe appliance will probably give you further data reduction (however its proprietary dedupe ratio will be less than with dedupe-friendly Veeam B&R compression level).
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Veeam itself will likely provide 50% savings or slightly more on average, when using optimal compression, however, I wouldn't expect the Exagrid to provide much more at that point. It's really hard to predict, but I'm guessing the Exagrid would provide less than 50% additional savings, likely only a very small amount, I'd guess no more than 10-20%, although it might edge slightly higher if you keep mulitple fulls.

Basically, if you're wanting to use a dedupe appliance, they really only make sense if you are sending them full backups.