Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Adding new host to existing setup

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

We are in the process of adding a VMware host into our environment. Currently we have vCenter with 7 hosts (they will be retired next 12 months, we phasing them out). Our new host will not be part of the current vCenter cluster.

Questions below:

1) On one back job, i have 2 Exchange 2010 servers (named Ex1 & Ex2) in a DAG that I backup both. Today, we will be shutting down Ex2 to move it over to the new host (the move will take a long time using the VMware converter). In regards to the current backup job, do I skip it tonight and create a custom job for Ex1 for just the one night or maybe just delay our backup time until the machine (Ex2) is brought online/moved to new host. I am guessing another option is to remove Ex2 out of the job and then re-added it in when the moved is done (probably best route since re-adding the vm machine Ex2, I can specify the new host).

2) Also we plan to add a second NIC into the Veeam Server since we are adding a new VMware host (different subnet). Do I have to do any configuration in order for Veeam to continue to work?

Thanks,
TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Adding new host to existing setup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

1. If I were you, I would still backup the single node just to be on the safe side. You can do that using the existing backup job, without creating a new job. The subsequent backup job run would create a "normal" backup of your Exchange configuration (both nodes).
2. No additional configuration will be required. Traffic routing is controlled by the Windows box your Veeam server is installed at. Based on your question, I assume you're using network backup mode, right?

Thank you!
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

How would I check if it is network backup mode? I think I have that setup but its been so long..

Thanks again.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Where is backup proxy located at? Are you using the default one? You can check what backup mode is used via looking at the job session details (search for [nbd], [san], [hotadd] tags there).
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

The proxy is on the same machine and using default. It is network mode.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

So it should be network backup mode (assuming your Veeam server is installed on a physical box). I would suggest installing virtual proxy server for better full VM restore and backup job performance rates.