Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Doug.Butler
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Douglas J. Butler

Possible in V7 to see details of restore points?

Post by Doug.Butler »

When looking at backups, the UI just shows me the number of restore points for each VM. As far as I can see, the only way to get details of the restore points is to start a 'dummy' restore job so the Restore Wizard launches; then I can see the Available Restore Points in the first dialog box.

Without launching the Restore Wizard, is there any other way to see the timestamp and backup type of each Restore Point?

Also, even in the Restore Wizard, there is no distinction between a Synthetic Full backup or an Active Full backup. It just says "Full." Of course, you can deduce whether it's an Active Full or a Synthetic Full with a little knowledge of the setup of the backup job and the way that VB&R backup modes work - but just as a user-friendliness item, it would be a teensy bit 'nice' if the UI would just say "Active Full" or "Synthetic Full" if possible.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Possible in V7 to see details of restore points?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Douglas, can you please clarify a bit on how you would use this information (restore point type) further? Thanks!
Doug.Butler
Enthusiast

Post by Doug.Butler »

Many companies have data backup policies that require periodic Active Full backups.

Since they are sometimes required by policy, it would be beneficial for audit compliance to be able to show not only the configuration of the backup job, but also explicitly show that backup file on disk is of the Active kind, rather than Synthetic.

Also, just for again 'user-friendliness' it would be helpful for a Veeam user to understand how periodic Active Full backups work in conjunction with the different modes of backup jobs such as Reverse Incremental vs. (Forward) Incremental.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, this makes perfect sense to me now, thanks for sharing and your feedback. As far as I remember we should have this kind on information in one of the predefined Veeam ONE backup reports, but let me double check it tomorrow.
Doug.Butler
Enthusiast

Post by Doug.Butler »

Thanks. Regarding the Veeam ONE report, however; I do not currently use Veeam ONE and likely would not purchase a license (if required) just to see this information. Do you believe this information would be available in whatever free edition of Veeam ONE exists, if any?

For my $0.02 on the subject, I still think it would be more user-friendly overall to just show it in the VB&R UI.

Thanks again,
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I believe this information is also available in Powershell. If you have a specific requirement we can probably put together some type of report using the information available there.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I second Tom on that. You should be able to get the information you're looking for via Get-VBRBackup, Get-VBRRestorePoint.

If you need any assistance with scripting, feel free to create a separate topic on the corresponding subforum.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Doug.Butler wrote:I do not currently use Veeam ONE and likely would not purchase a license (if required) just to see this information.
Veeam ONE provides a bunch of audit and compliance reports for Veeam Backup & Replication ;)
Doug.Butler
Enthusiast

Post by Doug.Butler »

Thanks all (Vitaliy, Tom and v.Eremin) - when I have enough free time I do plan to check out Veeam ONE, but probably won't be able to swing purchasing a license for it at this time.

Respectfully, it's also nice to know that the info is available via PowerShell; but also respectfully, please consider the ultra-small shops (like mine) where the poor SysAdmin just wants to look at it in the GUI, rather than have to go to another tool to run a script.

I think we're all on the same page though - Vitaliy and Tom have both indicated the idea has merit, so I'll get off my soapbox now. Thank you once again!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We do understand what you're saying, Douglas. Thank you for sharing your feedback; highly appreciated.
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

[MERGED] Active full and synthetic full

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

we create a synthetic full every week and an active full every to weeks for specific VMs. When looking at the backup properties under 'backups -> disk', both full backups have a type of 'full' only. You can't see if it was an active full or a synthetic full. Why is this? It would be nice to have the distinction in this list though.

Franc.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Active full and synthetic full

Post by jmmarton »

The difference between synthetic vs active is how the full is created. Once finished, you simply have a full backup stored in a VBK. There is no distinction between them after the fact.

Joe
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP »

This is not entirely accurate if we're talking an ReFS repository. A synthetic full will be spaceless, an active full will not be.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Exactly, and that's why I would like to see the difference on that screen. It's even being advised to do an active full periodically. So it would be nice to see when that active full was actually being created.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The need for the active fulls is not that strict these days, provided you verify your backups.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Well, with the latest CBT bug is was advised to do an active full. In such a scenario it would also be nice to have a distinction between synthetic full and active full.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ok, then I'm merging your request into a similar existing topic. Please see some considerations above.