Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

MSSQL SureBackup Problem

Post by EddyChong »

Hi,

Recently I've a customer who just deployed Veeam backup. They are backing up their mssql 2012 and app-aware image processing is enabled. The backup was successful without error.

There was no problem running SureBackup until last week, SureBackup for the database server keep failing at Application Group part, that db server is configured as application group vm(ping test and heartbeat test are successful). The application timeout was configured to 15 mins to allow the mssql service to start but the SureBackup still fails.

We've decided to go in directly to the particular vm while the surebackup is running (static mapping configured in virtual lab) and found that the mssql service can be started manually but stopped immediately after that. Checking through the event logs we found logs reporting:

"sql server detected a logical consistency-based i/o error site..."

A little googling soon indicated it seems like a inconsistency state of db causes the db service stop.

Anyone has experienced this before or any idea? We plan to do a full vm recovery to test later.

I suspect that might be some db activity while veeam doing the backup but we are still awaiting for the response from application team.

Thank you
Eddy
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: MSSQL SureBackup Problem

Post by veremin »

Hi Eddy, what is your support ticket ID for this issue (as requested when you click New Topic)? Thanks.
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Vladimir,

We haven't open a ticket with Veeam support yet. I'll post the support ticket number once we have opened a case with support.

Before that, is there any information you can share with us? :|
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I would check Event Log for any related events occurred at the time of backup.

Btw, are you still able to successfully verify previous restore points?
EddyChong
Enthusiast

Post by EddyChong »

Hi Alexander,

I've tried with the nearest successful point but still failed and I did not check the event logs. I know if earlier successful point if the surebackup still fails then it could be the timeout problems.

Will try with earlier successful point later.

Thank you
Eddy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

My thought was that if previous restore points can still be successfully verified using the same lab (i.e. service is not stopped) and nothing else has changed in the job configuration and your environment, then there's something wrong with the VM itself, not with vlab. Anyway, contacting support would be much more effective in this case.
itjustworks
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Chee

Post by itjustworks »

Veeam Support - Case # 00621539.

We have contacted Veeam Support with the above case number. We are communicating with Maria Belyaeva of Veeam Support and hopefully she is able to remotely access the Veeam Server next Monday morning.