Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
carousel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Louis Allen

Veeam and Amazon Web Services

Post by carousel »

Hello :D

I am looking into Veeam Backup & Replication and using the trial to replace Backup Exec for good. The reason I have opted for Veeam is the ability to 'connect to the cloud' as we are starting to migrate some of our servers into AWS.

Ultimately we want to be able to replicate from VMware vSphere directly into EC2 instances (real time!) but I believe it is not possible??? Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Instead I have been testing the following:
  • 1. Backup a VM from our VMware vSphere environment (located on site) to our veeam server (also located on site)
  • 2. Transfer this compressed backup to a windows server we have on AWS (over a VPN connection so cloud edition is not used at all)
  • 3. I then extract using Veeam's extraction tool to uncompress
  • 4. I then convert the extracted files to OVF format using VMware's tool
  • 5. I then upload to our AWS VPC using Amazon's EC2 command line tools
This has resulted in our VMware VM backup running on AWS in an EC2 instance. This is good but the process is extremely long winded and i was wondering how it could be streamlined?

I want to be able to 'replicate' to AWS from our vSphere environment in as close to real time as possible but will settle for the next best thing if this cannot be done. I just don't quite know what that is at the moment. Can someone please help or point me in the right direction?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam and Amazon Web Services

Post by Gostev »

carousel wrote:as we are starting to migrate some of our servers into AWS
Curios as to what types of servers/workloads you are migrating to AWS?
carousel
Novice

Post by carousel »

A mix of Windows / Linux machines, web servers, databases, ftp servers and a few specific applications (developed in house and 3rd party). Possibly even desktops at some point. I have AD replication working in the cloud currently. We want to ideally be able to replicate all servers that exist on site (primary) to AWS and that exist on AWS (primary) to on site for DR purposes.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I understand your desired DR design and it makes sense. I am just naturally interested in this other part of story :D
How do you determine which servers and workloads to run in Amazon, and which on premise? Is there a rule of thumb?
carousel
Novice

Post by carousel »

We are redesigning our infrastructure at the same time so are only moving servers or clusters of servers that have no to little communication requirements with anything that is still left on site because of the bandwidth limitation. Any servers we can split up/combine we do so, the servers that are left are the ones that will require the 'most work' and will probably not be moved for a year or two.

Does anyone have any input on my question :)
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Louis,
regarind your opening post, there is little that can be done to shrink the process because Veeam supports VMware and Hyper-V, while AWS uses xen as the hypervisor, so at some point of the process, no matter how automated it is, there will always be a conversion between VM formats.
Is there a specific reason to choose AWS? Because otherwise you could look up to other cloud providers using VMware as the underlying hypervisor, in this way the conversion process could be avoided, so a large part of the time taken by the overall process could be removed.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You might want to watch this video around automating the process. It doesn't really change the process at all, but it might help you to automate the conversion and certainly you can run tasks in parallel which could help.