Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
PeterKaps
Novice
Liked: never

Why use Veeam Monitor over built in ESX monitor

Post by PeterKaps »

Hi,

Could someone please tell me what advantages there are to using this monitoring tool over the built in ESX performance monitoring tool. From a quick look, they both appear to do the same thing???

Thanks
Peter
Atkatch
Expert

Post by Atkatch »

Veeam Monitor 1.0 is very similar to VC performance graphs but it is improved in several ways:

First of all it uses performance data that VMware provides but stores it more efficiently into SQL database.
The data is condensed and optimized for the historical reporting.

Second, Veeam Monitor provides for single-screen detailed monitoring of key usage and performance statistics, such as CPU, memory, disk, network, and swap usage for cluster, resource pool or virtual machine

Because of the better UI, you can easily switch between metrics and select multiple counters.

Another thing is the TOPs section where you can immediately see the top 3 consumers (VMs) for CPU, Memory, Disk, Network and Swap.
PeterKaps
Novice

Post by PeterKaps »

Thanks Atkatch

There are clear advantages in UI etc but for the sake of introducing another monitoring tool into our environment i am not sure i can see a clear benifite. I guess what i was most curious about was the accuracy at which VMWare and Veeam monitor report back on performance data. So provided the information is accurate in VMWare then i suppose i will stick to using that.

We also use another monitoring tool (What's UP), which makes WMI calls to report back on performance data. Is there any issue with regards to making WMI calls to virtual machines?

Cheers
Peter
Atkatch
Expert

Post by Atkatch »

For now, we don't monitor inside the VMs, so we don't use WMI calls to report back on performance data.

As we know there is no any issues regarding WMI calls to virtual machines.