Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlanP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Paice

Schedule for backups and roll backs

Post by AlanP »

I am looking at a back up schedule for hosting stack using Veeam in SAN mode. I am wondering what frequency to other Veeam users take full backups and how many roll backs do you have? I know Veeam does the synthetic backups, but there is the option to do a full which I think has made me think I should do them more than the initial backup?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Schedule for backups and roll backs

Post by Gostev »

Alan, optional full backups were added in v4 for customers who have to deal with compliance and policies requiring full backups (full backup every day). For other customers, we do not recommend using full backups at all. We ourselves are not using this option in-house.
AlanP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Paice

Post by AlanP »

Are you saying after the first backup all new ones are synthetic for ever? Any pointers on roll backs? What is typical or indeed sensible?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, it is forever-incremental backup, only first full.

As for rollbacks, it really depends on your organization's requirements for disaster recovery... this only defines how long you can "go back" for restores from the current state directly from disk, without having to touch your tapes or remote backups.

Some customers keep 3 days of rollbacks, other 30 days - there are no universal recipe. You need to also consider that the more days you keep, the more storage your backups will take.