Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Treeeman
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Design-Question with GVS-Retention and Full Backup to Tape

Post by Treeeman »

Hello,

i want to acchive following goal:
I want to Backup my VMs on weekdays to a local Disk with 7 Restore Points.
Additionally i want to save full Backups on Disk for a monthly, quarterly and yearly Backup (GVS-Retention)
On top i will copy a full backup for every weekday to a Tape.

I will acchive this while not wasting Storage Space.
How can i do this? What Recommendations?

Many Thanks!

Best Regards
Marco
Treeeman
Enthusiast

Re: Design-Question with GVS-Retention and Full Backup to Ta

Post by Treeeman »

I missed somthing:
I also want to Backup my full Backup to a specific Slot, because my Tape is in an Autloader.
So i want to copy a full Backup on Monday to Slot 1. Tuesday on Slot 2. And so on.

What i've done:
I created for my daily Backup to Disk a "Reverse Inc-Job" with Active Full-Backup on Friday.
For my GVS i created a copy Job with specific Settings to keep montly, quarterly and yearly Backups.
For my Copy to Tape Jobs i linked the Job to my first "Backup to Disk" Job. But if i am right there only will be a Inc-Backup on Tape each day.
I did not find any way to map a Slot to a Backup-Day.

Maybe someone could help me a litte bit.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I want to Backup my VMs on weekdays to a local Disk with 7 Restore Points.
Create a reversed incremental backup job with 7 retention period.
Additionally i want to save full Backups on Disk for a monthly, quarterly and yearly Backup (GVS-Retention)
Create a backup copy job with whatever number of restore points you want to keep with simple retention scheme. Also, enabled GFS retention scheme and set there the number of GFS restore points you're willing to preserve.
On top i will copy a full backup for every weekday to a Tape.
Create a backup to tape job that will run on weekly basis. As a backup to tape job automatically skips .vrb files, it will copy only latest full backup once a week.

With this scenario in place, the only issue might be the following: Even with reversed incremental mode, you will still need to perform full active backup once a month or so. Which means that once a month a backup to tape job will copy two full backups, instead of one.

Thanks.
Treeeman
Enthusiast

Post by Treeeman »

Hi,

thanks for your Reply.
Because i want to save daily a (full) backup to tape it should work if i map the backup to tape job with my daily-VM Job. Because this Job is a reverse Incremental Job the last backup whould be a Full Backup (.vbk) and so i should get backuped to tape (no .vrb-File). Do i understand right?

If yes, this whould be great!
Another question: Is there a way to do a Backup to Tape Job to a specific (Tape Autoloader) Slot?

Thanks!
Best Regards
Marco
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Treeeman wrote:Because i want to save daily a (full) backup to tape it should work if i map the backup to tape job with my daily-VM Job. Because this Job is a reverse Incremental Job the last backup whould be a Full Backup (.vbk) and so i should get backuped to tape (no .vrb-File). Do i understand right?
If you want to copy full backup to tape mediums once a day, then, set a daily schedule for a backup to tape job. As I've mentioned, reversed increments are automatically skipped from processing by backup to tape job. So, this scenario will provide exactly what you're after.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Another question: Is there a way to do a Backup to Tape Job to a specific (Tape Autoloader) Slot?
Nope, there is no way to tie a backup to tape job to a specific slot. Or your question is more about tapes rather than slots? Take a free tape from this slot, then, from that one, etc.?

Thanks.
Treeeman
Enthusiast

Post by Treeeman »

Thanks, too.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask for additional clarification, if needed. Thanks.