Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mobin Qasim

Removing VM Snapshot Stuck at 99%

Post by mobin.qasim »

Hi Guys,

I'm using Veeam B&R 7.0.0 839 and my backup job is stuck at "Removing Snapshot" since last 6 hours but usually it takes 1-2 mins max. I've tried to stop the job then it was stuck at "Stopping". Following KB article http://www.veeam.com/kb1727 , I was able to stop the job (I had to reboot the Veeam backup server). After reboot, Backup Job showed failed as I stopped it manually.

In vCenter tasks it still shows "Removing Snapshot 91%" and there is another task stuck on same VM "Removing Snapshot In Progress"

Can someone please guide me what''s gong on with my environment and how can I fix this issue.

Regards,

Mobin
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Removing VM Snapshot Stuck at 99%

Post by foggy »

Mobin, I suggest contacting VMware for instructions on how to proceed with making the snapshot removal task end. Veeam does not manage snapshot creation/removal tasks but rather issues the API call to vSphere to do that. That is why killing the job made no difference on the snapshot removal itself. There seems to be an issue on VMware side, so best would be to open a case with them.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check at VMware side at will update here later today.
mobin.qasim
Enthusiast

Post by mobin.qasim »

Snapshot removal task took 10.5 hours to complete in vCenter Tasks. Once snapshot was removed, VM showed a warning in vCenter Summary that:

"VM needs disk consolidation".

I tried to consolidate VM by going to VM > Snapshot > Consolidate but it gave the following error

"The maximum consolidate retries was exceeded for scsi0:1."

After searching I found that storage vMotion would resolve the disk consolidation issue and probably won't need to consolidate the disk anymore.

So I storage vMotion VM System Disk (It has 2 disks) to another datastore. After the vMotion "VM needs disk consolidation" warning message wasn't there anymore.

Then I started the Backup Job again Snapshot Removal took 12 mins but it went successful. The next Backup Job took normal time to remove snapshot. So it looks all good.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'm glad you were finally able to resolve this, thanks for getting back to update the topic.