Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Rod78
Influencer
Liked: never

Direct SAN Access not working

Post by Rod78 »

Hi
I think I’m going nuts here. I have configured Direct SAN Access as per the FAQ.
The backup server is a fully patched Win2008R2 physical box with latest Veeam B&R 7 with all “roles”
2x Integrated BCM5708 nics, one on production LAN and one for the SAN network.
Created MS iSCSI initiator that connects to a Equallogic box holding the VMFS volumes. I’m able to see the VMFS volumes on the Windows Disk Management as offline.
I also have configured jumbo frames on the iSCSI nic since the switches are as well. Also flow control is enabled on both iSCSI nic and SAN switches.
Offload mechanisms on nic are enabled and MCS policy in the initiator settings are set to Round Robin.

But every time I start a backup job it tells me “Direct SAN connection is not available, failing over to network mode” and I get around 30-37MB/s in NBD mode.
I hope you have some suggestions
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Direct SAN Access not working

Post by veremin »

If you've followed correctly the procedure described in our sticky FAQ, and still can't use Direct SAN mode, feel free to create a ticket with our support team and let them assist you. Thanks.
Rod78
Influencer

Post by Rod78 »

Can I open a ticket while on Trial? If so fine otherwise help on the forum would be nice. Or else what's the forum for?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Everybody on the official evaluation period is eligible for support (but appreciate response time according to support staff availability). The purpose of this forum is described when you click New Topic.
Rod78
Influencer

Post by Rod78 »

I have logged a case, #00628976
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thank you for providing your ticket number. Let's wait and see what support team say, once required logs are analyzed. Thanks.
Rod78
Influencer

Post by Rod78 »

So after analyzing logs, the support team told me this..

Code: Select all

"It seems that we have access to the SAN to read from it but when we're actually trying to read from the .vmdk files, then we get this in Veeam logs:
--WARN|VDDK logon has failed. Logon specification: [VC/ESX: [vcenter];Port: 4433;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-46]
-- >>  |The specified transports are not available. Available transports: [nbd]. Specified transports: [san]. VMDK path: [[TESTVOL] VM1/VM1_1.vmdk]
--wn:Direct SAN connection is not available, failing over to network mode..." 
Reading that I realized I'm using a service account to run Veeam and that service account was not a member of the admin group in vSphere Webclient Users and Groups, so I added it but no go :cry:

Support team thinks it has something to do with some security setting blocking the connection, firewall, AV, iSCSI settings..
I have checked windows firewall is disabled, no AV on servers. As far i can tell iSCSI settings are correct but if anyone have a working DIrect SAN Access to a Equallogic box please share your iSCSI settings.
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure it would help, but here is an example of how to configure Equallogic box to work in the direct SAN mode > http://michaelellerbeck.com/2010/04/01/ ... ith-veeam/
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

EqualLogic and Direct SAN access should be quite easy to setup.
Did you actually open iSCSI initiator on the Veeam Backup Proxy and make sure to connect all the LUN/Volumes from the EQL box?
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com