Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
doconnor
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup speeds inconsistent

Post by doconnor »

I have a mixed environment of 3.5 and 4 hosts, with two sets of shared storage.
I am currently trying to setup backup jobs for my VM's but I am having a terrible time with the performance.
I am backing up the VM's to a iSCSI target, using the VMware vStorage API in SAN mode.

I have two vm's with the latest version of vm hardware / tools and change block tracking enabled.
One backs up at 1-2MB/s a second and the other at 50 MB/s. (They are both on the same LUN and they are the only backup running at the time).

I need some assistance in trouble shooting this issue.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Backup speeds inconsistent

Post by Gostev »

Hello, unfortunately it is impossible to troubleshoot most environmental issues via forum, without webex and full logs, this is exactly why we suggest that you contact support directly for any technicall issues, instead of posting about it on forums.
doconnor
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by doconnor »

This Comminuty Forum is not intended for customer support. The main goal of this forum is to have a place where customers can talk to each other and the product management team behind the products to get help, share experiences, look for advices, submit feedback, request features and so on.

I am just looking for ideas on what to do / try.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Best idea is indeed to provide our technical staff with debug logs, as logs will show what exact operations take long time, thus affecting your backup processing speed counter for this VM.

Or, we can spend a few days trying to guess the problem instead :)