Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
InfraTeam
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Infra Team

Error: All instances of the storage metadata are corrupted

Post by InfraTeam »

Hi,

Receiving the following error when running incremental backups only. Veam v 7 with patch 4

Support case has been logged 00590789 initial suggestion was to change the account the proxy service was running as this has made no difference. I have also recreated the job and restore folder to a new location still having the same issues.

Note cifs share commented out with "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

Code: Select all

error: All instances of the storage metadata are corrupted.\n--tr:Failed to load metastore\n--tr:Failed to load metadata partition.\n--tr:Failed to open storage for read access. Storage: [\\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\ALL2014-06-29T080203.vbk].\n--tr:Cannot apply patches stored in folder [HostFS://\\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXALL2014-06-29T080203.vbk[c49922a7-a798-469b-b58a-58577942ed44 (vm-143)]].\n--tr:Failed to build restore point.\nFailed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].\n--tr:Cannot process [tar2text] command. Link: [summary.xml]. Size of the text: [%2].\n--tr:Client failed to process the command. Command: [tar2text].\n
InfraTeam
Novice

Backup Copy jobs never complete Riverbed Whitewater Device

Post by InfraTeam »

Hi

Veeam support case 00582973

I have a Riverbed device that is located on the otherside of a WAN link. Steelheads located at each end. The backup copy jobs that I have scheduled appear to never complete.

To date I have extended the copy interval from one day to 7 this has made no change.

From the logs

CIFS PAth commented out with "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Code: Select all

[01.07.2014 04:01:58] <13> Info           [AP] (7043) error: All instances of the storage metadata are corrupted.\n--tr:Failed to load metastore\n--tr:Failed to load metadata partition.\n--tr:Failed to open storage for read access. Storage: [\\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-Application2014-05-24T180000.vib].\n--tr:Cannot apply patches stored in folder [HostFS://\\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-Application2014-05-24T180000.vib[7f086fb6-20cf-4204-99b4-009812cac27a (vm-500)]].\n--tr:Failed to build restore point.\nFailed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [-1].\n--tr:Cannot process [tar2text] command. Link: [summary.xml]. Size of the text: [%2].\n--tr:Client failed to process the command. Command: [tar2text].\n
Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Error: All instances of the storage metadata are corrupt

Post by Gostev »

Riverbeds have nothing to deal with this, as the issue happen at the source, before it is sent over by the Backup Copy job. Both issues look to be caused by the storage behind xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx CIFS share misbehaving and causing data corruption, so I have merged these topics into one. What is that storage?
InfraTeam
Novice

Post by InfraTeam »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the post and getting back to me. In both instances the CIFS storage is a Riverbed Whitewater 3030. Interestingly it appears that full backups work ok however the incremental's fail.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Interestingly it appears that full backups work ok however the incremental's fail.
The backup copy job is forever incremental, so, can you elaborate on "full backup" portion? Or you're talking here about initial sync that proceeded successfully, meanwhile, the subsequent runs failed? Thanks.
InfraTeam
Novice

Post by InfraTeam »

Hi Vladimir,

Apologies for the confusion but the post covers two seperate issues. I have veeam running backups in an externally hosted data center and also locally hosted infastructure. I have two seperate jobs running to the whitewater device...

1. Veeam Copy jobs to replicate local backups via a wan link to the whitewater device
2. Local Veeam backup jobs backing up to the whitewater device.

All of the copy jobs fail with "All instances of the storage metadata are corrupt" from scenario 1. and a single Backup job fails with the same error on scenario 2. It is on scenario 2 that I can runn a full job without the error however the incremental on the same job give the "All instances of the storage metadata are corrupt"
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I got it. Then, let's wait and see what support team will find out, once required logs are analyzed. Based on your ticket, your case seems to be in pending state, as support team is waiting for you to reply. Thanks.
Katya
Lurker
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ekaterina

Post by Katya » 3 people like this post

The issue in case 00582973 was solved with a private fix from Riverbed for the Whitewater 5050 appliance.