Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sanjeev.narula
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sanjeev Narula

Veeam skipping active fulls

Post by sanjeev.narula »

I am running VBR 7 Enterprise edition. I have set up jobs to do weekly full backups and daily incremental backups. Although this works fine on some of the jobs but on others it never runs active full at all so it is doing incremental only. I have double checked the configuration and it seems correct to me. I thought I will ask here before submitting a support ticket in case I am missing something obvious.
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam skipping active fulls

Post by foggy »

Sanjeev, how do you schedule your jobs?
sanjeev.narula
Novice

Post by sanjeev.narula »

Hi Foggy,

I have setup chained scheduling if this is what you mean. So the first job starts at 8PM everyday and the rest follow one after another. In storage>Advanced settings I have only selected Incremental and Perform active full on Saturdays.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is what I'm meaning. Your chained jobs are started on the next day (not the one active full is scheduled to be performed at), due to the time required to run earlier jobs. This is typical for chaining jobs so if you use chaining to limit the load on the infrastructure, you'd better limit tasks concurrency on the proxy (or the repository) and let all the jobs start together. Jobs chaining is not among our best practices as it could also have other undesired consequences.
sanjeev.narula
Novice

Post by sanjeev.narula »

Thanks foggy.
That explains it and I was missing something obvious. I did notice that the earlier jobs worked fine and the later ones were skipping active fulls.
I will change the scheduling method and hopefully it will work as expected.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is quite common misconfiguration issue, so changing the schedule is the right step. Let us know if you need any further help.