Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bobogs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary

Back up SQL Server VM w/out VSS...using Red Gate SQL Backup

Post by bobogs »

We discovered that our nightly Veeam job is doing full backups of each database on our SQL Server vm, as shown by unexpected rows where Type=D in the msdb database. This is throwing off our ability to do point-in-time recovery from our Red Gate SQL Backup SQB files created from Full, Differential and Transaction Log backups, because the Veeam Full backups interrupt the chain.

I don't see any database backup-specific settings in the Veeam job wizard...is it the VSS setting that's doing the full database backups? If I disable the VSS setting, will Veeam still be backing up the entire vm? We'd like the vm to be recoverable as a working SQL Server server (apps/binaries/DNS/etc -wise), to which we can manually restore the databases from their Red Gate SQB files as needed.

Am I on the right track with the VSS setting?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Back up SQL Server VM w/out VSS...using Red Gate SQL Bac

Post by veremin »

bobogs wrote:I don't see any database backup-specific settings in the Veeam job wizard...is it the VSS setting that's doing the full database backups? If I disable the VSS setting, will Veeam still be backing up the entire vm?
If you disable Application Aware Image Processing, then, VB&R won't interfere with your primary SQL backup solution, but it will still perform VM image-level backup. Thanks.
bobogs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary

Post by bobogs »

Thanks for the help. :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to let us know, should other help be needed. Thanks.