Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Restore doesn't provide enough feedback?

Post by pufferdude »

I just did a test restore of an entire VM, and the process went perfectly. However, it was a bit disconcerting to have the progress bar get to 100% and then sit there, doing nothing, for over five minutes before the restore was actually complete. During this time I had no idea if something had gone wrong, or what. After almost six minutes of no feedback (the veeam restore window was at 100% and the only button was "cancel") it finally finished and the restore was successful.

1) Is this normal? Or am I seeing a delay that shouldn't be there at the end of a restore?
2) If it IS normal, I suggest some sort of additional feedback be presented to avoid confusion.. maybe something like "finishing up and registering VM. This may take a while..."

Just my .02
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore doesn't provide enough feedback?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jim,

No, that's not an expected behavior. After the actual restore of vmdk files completes, you're right, the VM is being registered. By the way what backup mode have you used? In case of a network mode (3rd radiobutton) your current snapshot tree also gets backed up. So it could be a snapshot restore that takes extra 5 minutes, however this is not applicable to vStorage API mode.

Anyway, you could send us veeamshell.log to support@veeam.com, so we could see what is causing such a delay for you.

Thank you!
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks for the info. I am running in API mode, backing up and restoring directly to the SAN. I cannot find any file called veeamshell.log. Where should this be located?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jim, it is located under Help|Support Information if you open the backup console.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks! Log sent.