Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MrBaseball
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup Copy Job Setting That Controls .vbk Creation

Post by MrBaseball »

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question and I apologize if it has been answered before...

We run backup copy jobs daily with the idea of keeping 5 weekly and 1 monthly restore points. The monthly .vbk file is then manually copied off to Amazon AWS where it is housed to save space on our backup storage. This manual process is getting tedious and I was hoping to script the copy to AWS process, but was having issues finding a regular pattern to the .vbk files that are created for our monthly copies with Veeam. I assumed this was due to the fact that our monthly "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes" in Veeam was set to Last Saturday of the Month. I changed that to 1st day of the Month with the hopes that I would have a .vbk file every month named or created on the 1st of the month. So far the restore points for September 1st are still .vib files.

Am I wrong in assuming that at some point there will be a .vbk created for the day that I set for the Monthly restore point? Is there any way to control when .vbk files are created with backup copy jobs?

Thanks in advance for the help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Setting That Controls .vbk Creation

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Each GFS restore point is a full backup available on the day it is scheduled at (not the newly copied VMs state, which is saved in the incremental restore point created at that day). Please review the restore points selection algorithm described in the corresponding user guide section for better understanding and feel free to ask if further clarification is required. Thanks.
MrBaseball
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by MrBaseball »

Thanks foggy. I have read that guide before, but it didn't really click.

So just to clarify. If I have a daily backup copy job running that is set to keep 7 restore points. I should expect the .vbk file for the first of the month to be created on the 7th of the month and that .vbk will not be aged off on the next backup copy job like it would if it was any other day of the month?

I hope that makes sense.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, your understanding is correct.