Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fosfor
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Prosper Thaels

Hosting backups

Post by Fosfor »

Hello,
At the moment we host a lot of backups of our customers. We make an IPSEC vpn connection from our customers site to our datacenter and point the backup directly to a Synology of our customer.
Now we have some customers who cannot make a IPSEC vpn connection because it is not possible with the equipment they got from their internet provider. Unfortunately it is not possible to switch the router (Netherlands: KPN Experiabox for fiber).

Is it possible to make a backup over a WAN connection to a NAS (Synology) without making a vpn?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hosting backups

Post by veremin »

Fosfor wrote:Is it possible to make a backup over a WAN connection to a NAS (Synology) without making a vpn?
The target repository should be accessible from a backup console. Otherwise, the backup operations wouldn't work.

On a side node, in case of WAN connection I would recommend using backup copy job with WAN accelerators enabled, instead of backup jobs. The backup copy jobs are more stable against network issues that are typical for WAN connections.

Thanks.
Fosfor
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Prosper Thaels

Post by Fosfor »

Hello v.Eremin,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately your answer was not what i asked. Is there a way to backup over a wan connection without making a vpn. to connect directly or something.

Alternately is it for example possible to make 1 windows server with the Veeam proxy installed available for several different customers?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Fosfor wrote:thank you for your answer. Unfortunately your answer was not what i asked. Is there a way to backup over a wan connection without making a vpn. to connect directly or something.
My point was that a customer should have a network access to target location. The certain implementation might vary: be it VPN connection, public IP, etc.
Fosfor wrote:Alternately is it for example possible to make 1 windows server with the Veeam proxy installed available for several different customers?
Yes, you can do that. Keep in mind, though, that customers will not be aware of activity of each other, meaning they won't see how loaded the given proxy is or how many tasks are already assigned to it by different users.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Fosfor wrote:Is it possible to make a backup over a WAN connection to a NAS (Synology) without making a vpn?
It would be possible to do via Cloud Connect feature (part of Veeam B&R v8 release). I would suggest to register in our VCP program (if you haven't done that already) and start preparing your infrastructure for Cloud Connect. Hope this helps.