Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
caccia82
Novice
Liked: never

Daily Backup repository

Post by caccia82 »

Hi everyone,
in my environment i have 5 different tapes, and my goal is to copy all the files in the backup repository (full and incremental files) on different tape on a daily basis (Monday to Friday).

what is the best approach to achieve my goal?

Is it better a "Tape Job" or a "File Job"?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Daily Backup repository

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

I would recommend using Backup to tape jobs, as in this case you will be able to catalog these VMs on tapes and will know what tape is needed to run a restore for a specific VM. If you want to offload backup files to tapes on daily basis then you can create two media pools (one for full backups, the second one for increments). See our on-line help center for more info > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... _jobs.html

P.S. btw, what backup mode are you using?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you still want to copy the whole chain on daily basis, you might give a file to tape job a shot. Just make sure to schedule full backup (in the settings of a file to tape job) to take place on daily basis. Thanks.
caccia82
Novice

Post by caccia82 »

@Vitaliy S.
I'm using Forever Incremental with synthetic full

@v.Eremin
Thanks! i will your suggestion!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In the case when all backups should be transferred to tapes, Vladimir's advice sounds better, though please be aware that you will have the same VBK file all the time present on the tape + daily increments, just want to make sure you have enough space for the entire backup chain on a single tape.
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

[MERGED] Full Nightly Repository Backup to Tape

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

Hi

Currently I have the D2D backup using Forward Incremental method with synthetic full on Saturday and active full on the first Saturday of the month.

I want to make sure that although the nightly backup is fast with incremental that the nightly tape contains the entire repository so that if the LIVE Site is taken out each backup tape can restore the entire environment without needing additional tapes which may have been lost in a fire, for example.

I have set a job to backup the main repository every night but when I put a new tape in it only seems to backup the latest incremental file not the whole repository. In other backup software the tape would be erased at the start of the job then the latest data written to it.

I know there is the option of Reversed Incremental to always have the latest synthetic full on tape but I would rather not use that option if I could just backup the entire repository every night.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Alan, backup to tape jobs copy only new and changed files (those that were not copied before). To achieve what you want please use the file to tape jobs, as described above.
dstevenson
Novice
Full Name: Dana Stevenson

[MERGED] Backup Repository vs File to tape

Post by dstevenson »

I am a bit confused about Backup Repository to Tape vs File to tape.

Goal: Have a complete repository to tape every night to be sent off site for history and DR

Current configuration: Files to tape, then I selected the path to the repository

Issue: Can't configure File to Tape to run right after a job in the GUI of Veeam < would like to >
I am thinking I can do this with a PowerShell script but would like to do this in the GUI

Question: Will the repository to tape job backup the entire repository to tape every night ?

Please post thoughts and or solutions you have deployed.

Thank you
Dana
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dana,
Have a complete repository to tape every night to be sent off site for history and DR
You can do that by creating a file to tape job with following settings:

- Step Files and Folders hit Add and specify the root folder of your existing backup files
- Step Full backup check the box Run the full backup automatically > Daily at and chose the appropriate time for job to start

Or you can use backup to tape job with the following settings, but please note that with the described setup – first run of the backup to tape job would put all existing backup files in repository to tape and next run would track only newly created backups :

- Step Backup Files hit Add > Backup repositories... and specify the scope of the repositories you would like to place on tape
- Step Schedule Run the job automatically > Daily at and chose the appropriate time for job to start
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dana, currently it is not possible to schedule file to tape job after the backup job via GUI, here's the instruction on how to do that with the help of scripting.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, you can go to Summary page in the settings of a file to tape job and copy "Command Line" string. After that, specify this string as a post job activity for a given backup job. That's all - the jobs will be chained. Thanks.
dstevenson
Novice

Post by dstevenson »

@v.Eremin That sounds like a good idea. I was just starting a PS script to run VMware Backup and then a File to Tape job to keep them in sequence. I will some testing , thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The combination of commandline string and postjob activity might be an easier approach in comparison with PS scripts. It's up to you, though, to choose whatever one you like most. Thanks.
dstevenson
Novice

Post by dstevenson »

@v.Eremin Quick job creation and testing resulted in exactly what I was looking for. The VMware job ran anddd then kicked off the tape job. Thank you for that information.

Note: I would like to suggest product enhancement of allowing File to Tape job to be allowed to follow another job.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. As to the feedback, your voice is counted. Thanks.
caccia82
Novice

Post by caccia82 »

Hi,
i just upgraded to Veeam 8 (great work!).
is there a new approach for my goal? or should i continue to use "File to Tape Job"?

I read the notes in the below link and it seems that i can use the "Backup to Tape" Job.
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ckups.html

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
Thank you for the kind words.

The backup chain is checked to backup lastest or all restore points only during the first backup to tape job run.