Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
savvyxeus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Savvy Xeus

Backup to USB and then Copy job

Post by savvyxeus »

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any best practices in backing up to a USB drive, this is a static 4TB USB drive on veeam 7.0
At the moment the backup job has the following selected in advance setting . Incremental with Enable synthetic fulls ticked, create on: Saturday.
Are these settings recommended for USB backup? should I be using reversed incremental?

I would like to achieve drive rotation as well, but believe thats not possible with Veeam and will need to use copy job? Can someone provide some steps for backup to USB with drive rotation please.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup to USB and then Copy job

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Savvy,

Here is a pretty similar topic. Please review.
savvyxeus wrote: Incremental with Enable synthetic fulls ticked, create on: Saturday.
Are these settings recommended for USB backup? should I be using reversed incremental?
It should work, but I would suggest to go for reversed incremental - it fits better to backup-to-disk jobs. Although, daily backup will be longer, you will get rid of synthetic fulls, which might be too I/O intensive backup operation for USB drive.
savvyxeus wrote:I would like to achieve drive rotation as well, but believe thats not possible with Veeam and will need to use copy job? Can someone provide some steps for backup to USB with drive rotation please.
Drive rotation is possible with Veeam and it`s not necessary to use Backup Copy jobs. Another similar topic may help to answer your questions.
Could you elaborate on the type of rotation you are going to implement?

Thank you.