Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
djobbito
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Migrate or Move Backed up VMs from NAS to new vsphere

Post by djobbito »

Hi,

I had a ESXi 5.0 server wich died on me, IP 20.0.10.120.
However I have a brand new one (ESXi 5.5) which in beside it with IP address 20.0.10.121.

Basically, I was using veeam 7 fron PC 20.0.10.143 to proceed all VMs backup from the ESXi 20.0.10.120.

My backup repository is a Synology NAS 30TB, 20.0.10.181.

I woul like to know, how to move the VMs from the Synology 20.0.10.181 to the new ESXi 20.0.10.121.

Or do I have to reinstall the ESXi with the same IP address 20.0.10.120 and same configs????

And then will I be able to recover the VMs from the nas to the reconfigured sever????

I am in a deep mess right now.... please help.

Thanks in advance.....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Migrate or Move Backed up VMs from NAS to new vsphere

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
djobbito wrote:I woul like to know, how to move the VMs from the Synology 20.0.10.181 to the new ESXi 20.0.10.121.
Do you mean that you want to restore VMs to this ESXi host (not sure I fully understand the question)?
djobbito wrote:Or do I have to reinstall the ESXi with the same IP address 20.0.10.120 and same configs????
No need to do that. If your original ESXi host died, then you can install a new one and then restore all VMs using your existing Veeam backup server. Just add this new host to the backup console and start the restore process.
djobbito wrote:And then will I be able to recover the VMs from the nas to the reconfigured sever????
Yes, you can restore to the new host and it doesn't matter what config it will have.

Thanks!
djobbito
Novice

Post by djobbito »

Hi,and thanks for the answer.
Do you mean that you want to restore VMs to this ESXi host (not sure I fully understand the question)?
Yes I want to restore the VMs to the new ESXi, but I did not manage to do it unfortunately!!!

Do I have to follow a special procedure???

You said
Just add this new host to the backup console and start the restore process.
How can I do that?

Thanks!!!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have a Veeam backup console already installed somewhere? If yes, then add your new host via add server wizard to the backup console, navigate to backups node and choose VMs you would like to restore.

If you had a Veeam backup server on the host that went down, then install a fresh Veeam backup server, point it to the repository where your backups are stored and hit a rescan button to populate your Veeam server with existing backups. Alternatively, you can simply use an import button to import all backups from the repository. Once your backups are accessible by the console, add your new host and start the restore process.

Let me know if that helps!
djobbito
Novice

Post by djobbito »

Thanks, I will let you know.....
djobbito
Novice

Post by djobbito » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Thanks for everything, worked like a charm......

I did a instant recovery then I just had to change the Host Ip address, used the datastore on the new server, migrated the VMS on the datastore.

Then with Vmotion, next week I will migrate the VMS to the old server when it will be repaired (IBM MX 3500, Hard drive issue).

Thanks again....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for updating the topic.