Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
sdp
Novice
Liked: never

Summary/Stacked View or Report based on Business View

Post by sdp »

Hello,

Hoping somebody can help out.

I am trying to get a historical view of total IOPS for a business view group. For example I have a business view group that includes all the virtual servers for a specific client. I need to provide a report of total IOPS for that client over say the last week. I can't seem to find a report that will summarise this into a total for me. If I got to VeemOne Monitoring, go to business view, then drill down to select a client group, then click the disk tab at the top and select Virtual Storage IOPS, it does actually show the total there for that Business View Object, but annoyingly it also shows the values for the child objects....I just want that, without the child objects.

Hope that makes sense? Any suggestions?

This is a Hyper-V environment by the way.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Summary/Stacked View or Report based on Business View

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,

If I understood your issue correctly, Hyper-V Custom Performance report is what you need here. You can find it in Veeam One Reporter > Workspace > Custom reports.
There you can pickup business view objects, period, and metrics you are interested in, including IO Bytes/sec.

Does it help?
Thank you.
sdp
Novice

Post by sdp »

Not quite, as that report still itemises each child object of the business view. So if I have a business view called "Client A" and it contains 20 virtual servers, that report shows the IO for all 20 servers as individual items. I would like to see the total IO for all of the VMs put together.

Ultimately something that will allow me to create a report of total IO per client. Not per VM or per volume.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the clarification sdp,
sdp wrote:If I got to VeemOne Monitoring, go to business view, then drill down to select a client group, then click the disk tab at the top and select Virtual Storage IOPS.
The way you have described looks the most sane. To avoid showing child objects, among "Chart options" choose "Current object" or "Custom view".
sdp wrote:So if I have a business view called "Client A" and it contains 20 virtual servers, that report shows the IO for all 20 servers as individual items. I would like to see the total IO for all of the VMs put together.
The easiest solution so far is to save the report as .xlsx file and calculate the sum in Microsoft Excel.
Hope it helps. Thanks for the feedback!
sdp
Novice

Post by sdp »

Thanks for the suggestions, re the chart options, that is exactly what I'd like, but when I select "Current Object" or "Custom View" under chart options it still displays the child objects. Could this be a bug/something wrong with my setup?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Could you clarify how your Business view is configured?
Are all Vms placed in the same datastore? What is a type of the datastore (CSV, SMB etc.)?

Have you created a new category? For what Object type?
Since you use the metric Virtual Storage IOPS, I can guess "Object type" of your group is "VM".

If all VMs of the business view category called "Client A" are on the same Datastore, you can go to: Veeam One Monitor > Business View > Datastores > ...Way to your Business view category
Than choose tab "disk" and the metric Datastore IOPs which shows what are you looking for without any child objects.

Thank you.
sdp
Novice

Post by sdp »

My business view consists of a Category called "Clients" of with Virtual Machine as the object type. I then have a group for each client with the client's virtual servers added to that group.

Unfortunately doing it per datastore won't work as we have some datastores shared across multiple clients.

I think this might be something I should try with the Veeam MP for System Center, as we have that running as well. I've got some problems with that too but will start a new post over on that forum.

Thanks for your help
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

sdp,

Asking in Veeam MP subforum can be useful, you are right.

We are planning to improve Hyper-V Raw Performance Data report by adding max, min, average indexes. Probably it`s a good idea to add total as well.

Thank you.