Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Remote repositories and Backup copy jobs

Post by ober72 »

Hi,

I would like to run this proposed setup by the experts here to see if this is feasible.
We have one remote server. We want to create 3 or 4 separate repositories for different offsite veeam servers on it by choosing different folder paths. We want them separated so that the data from different dept's are separate.
How many of these can we reasonably have running at the same time.

Also I understand that we can only have one Wan accelerator for one of the veeam servers repositories on that DR server. So we were thinking about seting up the wan accelerators on some smaller servers that are offsite and then create the repositories through them using CIFS and that server as a proxy pointing to the folders on the big server.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated.

o.
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Remote repositories and Backup copy jobs

Post by veremin »

ober72 wrote:How many of these can we reasonably have running at the same time.
It depends solely on the underlying storage (amount of I/O it can handle).
ober72 wrote:Also I understand that we can only have one Wan accelerator for one of the veeam servers repositories on that DR server.
It's possible to share "target" WAN accelerator between multiple "source" ones. Thus, you don't need to use multiple small servers with access to CIFS shares created on big server. The global cache folder will be created per pair of Accelerators, though.

Thanks.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

Thanks v.Eremin,

Are there any security concerns with sharing a wanaccelerator. So if I have a DR server, on this server I have created repositories in separate folders for each different remote veeam server, but then I tell all of the backupcopy jobs at the remote server to use the one Wanaccelerator, would that still be ok if I don't want the data kept separate?

Similar to that question I read (and perhaps misunderstood) that on top of the wan accelerator the veeam service also can cache data from the different repositories and use them?

Thanks
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ober72 wrote:Are there any security concerns with sharing a wanaccelerator. So if I have a DR server, on this server I have created repositories in separate folders for each different remote veeam server, but then I tell all of the backupcopy jobs at the remote server to use the one Wanaccelerator, would that still be ok if I don't want the data kept separate?
This should be ok. Your data will be kept separate, only similar blocks (like Guest OS) will be cached to optimize data transfer.
ober72 wrote:Similar to that question I read (and perhaps misunderstood) that on top of the wan accelerator the veeam service also can cache data from the different repositories and use them?
Caching is only done by WAN Accelerators. What you've probably read is that you can either build cache data during backup copy job run or based on the existing repositories that already have some backup files.