Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
waya01
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Way

Copying VBK file to Tape

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

I'm trying to copy my VBK files to tape for offsite backup. But I get an error saying the file is corrupt. I have tried both NTBackup and Symantec Backup Exec 12.5. But getting the same result with both.

Any ideas?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Copying VBK file to Tape

Post by Gostev »

Hello, try to copy the VBK file to another volume, or to a shared folder on another computer.

If you cannot do this, then the issue is caused by corrupted blocks on the volume hosting the file (hard drive is dying) - Windows cannot read information for some VBK file blocks.

But, if you can do this, then the issue is with BackupExec and you should open support case with them.
waya01
Influencer

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

I tried copying the file using the Veeam console, it said success, but only copied 10GB out of 195GB.

This is the same VM I have had trouble backing up. Although it is now backing up successfully. Is there a way to check/repair the VM? The VM has a dynamic HDD in windows (used to expand the volume as required), would this cause the problem? As I currently am unable to use the "Restore Guest Files" option in the Veeam Console and have to use the File Level Restore Wizard to restore individual files for this VM.

Many Thanks,

Andy
waya01
Influencer

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

Just tried another VM VBK file to tape. Getting the same error. The VMs are all stored on an HP MSA 2312fc SAN. There is nothing in the SAN logs that mention failing hard disks, etc.

Many Thanks,

Andy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Andy, please try copying the VBK file using Windows Explorer to another volume or shared folder. Thanks.
waya01
Influencer

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

I have tried copying using Windows Explorer. I'm getting the following message:

Cannot copy DC2 Backup: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

There is plenty of disk space on the destination drive.

I'm currently trying to copy it using a different computer, to a USB HDD to see if the same error occurs.

Thanks,

Andy
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Andrew, I am not sure what Windows version you are using, but see if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101
waya01
Influencer

Post by waya01 »

Hi,

Thanks, I found this over the weekend and made the adjustments. It appears to be working properly now. The backups seem to no longer be failing intermittently with the "End of file" error. Also the backup files are copying to tape successfully.

Many Thanks for your help.

Andy