Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Steve_za
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Cooke

Can't do incrementals only

Post by Steve_za »

support case number is 00633817.

I'm sure I've got it misconfigured somewhere, I have 2 tape drives, and 3 media pools,

tape drive A with media pools Daily and weekly A,
tape drive B with media pool weekly B.

My full backups run over the weekend to both drives, via jobs called weekly A and Weekly B, the incremental job runs daily.
The problem is after running the full backup jobs to the drives, the daily job still tries to back up all the .vbk files, even though the full backup went through successfully.
How do I get it to only do the .vib files?
After the daily job does a full backup, it will then only do the incrementals on the following days
It seems like because of the different pools it doesn't know the .vbk files have been backed up

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can't do incrementals only

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Steve,

It is possible to split the full backups and increments inside backup to tape job, but it is impossible them into two separate backup jobs. Please refer to this article: Creating Backup to Tape Jobs > Step 4. Choose Media Pools

I suggest you to create one backup to tape job including fulls and increments splitting them into separate media pools, triggered by either original backup to disk, after this job schedule option or as a new backup file appear.
BDietrich
Novice
Liked: never

Post by BDietrich »

This again triggers the inability of B&R to use two (or more) different tape drives as JBOD (or overflow) configuration (read more here).
The pain is, that you can not have an "unattended" complete backup run without changing tapes for a backupjob that exceeds the volume of your (biggest) tapedrive.
Or do I miss the golden solution to this pair of problems?

Veeam must look into the handling of media pools quite dearly - the sooner the better.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Steve_za wrote:How do I get it to only do the .vib files?
Create a file to tape job called "Daily increments", point it to the given directory, and specify corresponding file mask (*.vib). This way, only files of specific type (increments) will be copied to a particular media pool.

Thanks.