Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
phillipnewberry
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phillip Newberry

Backup to tape and delete files after on disk

Post by phillipnewberry »

I'm working on a backup policy as per company requests

Goal: 4 weeks of data on disk. The forth week transferred to tape and removed from disk.

How is this possible with Veeam?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to tape and delete files after on disk

Post by foggy »

Phillip, you could transfer the weekly worth of backups to tape every week (starting from the first one), would that comply with your company's policy? In the end, you will have just three weeks of backups on tapes more than it is currently required.
arielcabral
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ariel Cabral

Post by arielcabral »

Hello Phillip,

Were you able to do that? I think I'm looking for the same solution so I'm thinking it will have to be done with a post job script

My need is:
- Backup d:\ drive on a Windows machine to tape
- Get the list of the files that were backed up (Only those backed up, because the repository may have newer files created)
- Delete the files on the that list

Foggy, is there such feature or a script Veeam has already worked on?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Ariel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

- Backup d:\ drive on a Windows machine to tape
- Get the list of the files that were backed up (Only those backed up, because the repository may have newer files created)
- Delete the files on the that list
Can you elaborate on that? You want to backup VMs to disk first, then, once backup jobs are finished, copy resulting backups to tape mediums, and clean the repository afterwards. Is that something you're looking for? Thanks.
darkhorse
Influencer
Full Name: Craig Ross

Post by darkhorse »

I had a similar scenario.

Could you not just backup the files you wish to Disk for the four weeks (with a retention period to cover just over the 4 weeks). to allow the next step to complete.
Then once a month schedule in the Tape Job to run against the Disk Backup job. and capture the Disk backups. Have a Longer retention for the Media Pool here.

Then the Disk retention completes and removes the Older Backups.

FYI I have investigated, you cannot run the Retention deletion step with completing another backup first.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

darkhorse wrote:Then the Disk retention completes and removes the Older Backups.

FYI I have investigated, you cannot run the Retention deletion step with completing another backup first.
There's actually no need to remove the entire month worth of backups from disk, files will be deleted gradually, week by week, according to retention, and when the tape job starts next time, it will copy next four weeks of backups.
arielcabral
Novice
Full Name: Ariel Cabral

Post by arielcabral »

Guys, were you able to come up with something on this?

I need to backup all the files on D:\Backups\ (SAP exports) to tape, and then clean up that folder (I don't need to remove the vbk or vib files, I need to delete the actual files).
I made a post job script but it lacks of permissions so it doesn't work :/

Any idea on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Ariel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The script that executes a file to tape job and clean a source folder afterwards seems like a natural choice in this case. What kind of permission problem you're talking about? Have you tried to RunAs" commands to the script, so that, it's run under account with necessary permissions? Thanks.