Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Post Job Activity job launch

Post by withanh »

I have a job that is scheduled to launch through the Post job activity. I don't have concrete evidence yet, but it appears that it isn't always running, and I think the reason is because of the time that it launches.

Main job --> Launches 10pm
2nd job --> Launches at conclusion of Main job
3rd job --> Launches at conclusion of 2nd job, but only on Fridays

What I think I am seeing is Thursday night the backup finishes before midnight so the 3rd job properly does not launch. But on Friday the backup sometimes doesn't finish until after midnight, so by the time the 3rd job launches it's now Saturday and it ends up not launching. End result = no backup for 3rd job.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Thanks!

h
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Post Job Activity job launch

Post by Gostev »

Darhl, I can understand the issue that is caused for you by this, but apart of that technically in the provided scenario the product worked as designed. I would probably change job's start time to make sure 2nd job does finish on Friday.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Yeah, I figured that was what I would need to do, but wanted to make sure that was really what was happening and why the 3rd job wasn't launching.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Another question about the post job activity job launch. I'm playing around with setting up a DR scenario and want to do a VM-Copy of my Veeam server, then when that's done I want to do a full backup of all my VM's.

So I create the VM-Copy job, then create the Full Backup job. I copy the command line and go back to the VM-Copy job and there is no advanced button to put the post job activity.

I just want to confirm this is expected behavior and I'm not just missing something simple.

Thanks!

h
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, Advanced settings are not available for VM Copy jobs. I guess some advanced settings would still make sense for this type of job. I will discuss this with developers. Thank you.
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Thanks Anton!
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

Looking at the advanced settings, here are the ones I think make sense to keep for a VM-Copy job:

General tab
Enable email notifications
Enable SNMP notifications
Enable VMware tools quiescence
Enable automatic backup integrity checks
Post job activity

Compression tab
n/a

vSphere tab
n/a

Backup tab
Safe snapshot removal
Backup details
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Agree except backup intergrity check (no backup) and probably Backup details (will mess up backup file location records). Thank you!
withanh
Veteran

Post by withanh »

I wondered about the integrity check, but figured that an integrity check was a good idea over all :D

For the Backup details, I thought I'd call it "Backups_Daily" for my daily's and for my weekly DR backups I'd call it "Backups_Weekly". Does it have to stay as "Notes"? It lets you change it, but I haven't run a backup since changing it and don't know how it will react. Will test today.

h
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Good point, I forgot all about possibility to use different attribute for each job.

Yes, integrity checks are for backup files only. Our VBK is deduped single instance storage with some level of redundancy, and integrity checks verify storage consistency according to that redundant data. So, this is not really applicable to VMDKs produced by VM Copy.