Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Copy sync scheduling

Post by AdrianHinton »

Hi,

I have backup jobs that run hourly during business hours. I want to copy as many points as possible via the copy sync jobs but the increments change in size so there is no real way to determine how many times I can copy the increments throughout the day. Aside from complicating things with Powershell, can the UI provide a way for the copy sync job to be triggered after the backup job and if the copy sync job is already running, not to do anything?

Also, is there a more dynamic way to configure retention? I can select 7 or 14 or 28 but what I am trying to achieve is 1 week or 2 weeks or 4 weeks. So if I have times where increments are not copied due to them being larger than usual, this static way of configuring retention is not all that handy.

Thanks guys.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Copy sync scheduling

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Adrian,
Adrian wrote:...but the increments change in size so there is no real way to determine how many times I can copy the increments throughout the day.
Aside from complicating things with Powershell, can the UI provide a way for the copy sync job to be triggered after the backup job and if the copy sync job is already running, not to do anything?
If you make backup job, scheduled run hourly during business hours + backup copy job with a setting Copy every = 1 hour you should achieve the goal you have described. The copy job will run hourly for new restore point search and have "Idle" status between runs of the backup job.

Where do you copy those backups?
Adrian wrote:Also, is there a more dynamic way to configure retention? I can select 7 or 14 or 28 but what I am trying to achieve is 1 week or 2 weeks or 4 weeks. So if I have times where increments are not copied due to them being larger than usual, this static way of configuring retention is not all that handy.
Veeam B&R uses number of retention points rather than number of days/weeks for retention policy. However, it`s easy to calculate how many points you need for 1/2/4 etc. weeks in accordance to a job schedule.

Thank you.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Post by AdrianHinton »

I copy the backups offsite through a 20Mb link. I have 19 copy jobs for 19 backup jobs and when I set one of them to copy every hour, the interval expires a lot and leaves me with incomplete points. The best way that I can see to achieve what I want to do is to run a command at the end of each run to trigger the copy job so the complete point gets copied EVERY time the copy job is triggered. I am surprised that the UI doesnt offer a method to just try and copy each available restore point without setting a static interval that can expire and leave you with incomplete restore points that you cannot use?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Why not to combine all backups jobs within one backup copy job, instead of creating a backup copy per a source job? As to incomplete restore points, it seems that backup copy job isn't able to copy a restore point within an allocated interval, thus, leaving RPs in incomplete state. May be, you can increase an interval giving more time to a backup copy job to finish its activity? Thanks.