Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DrakeLennox
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Drake Lennox

Merge Backup Sets

Post by DrakeLennox »

Hey,

I have 10 small vm enviroments with veeam in our remote offices.
Now i need to setup a central Veeam Server in our HQ for remote backups also.

my idea was to copy all local backups, transfer them to the HQ (on site, usb disk) and then creating a new job with mapping to the respository.
the problem is that i have 10 jobs now but i need to merge them for deduplicating. is there a way to solve this?

thx!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Merge Backup Sets

Post by veremin »

You can create a backup copy job, selecting existing backup jobs as a source for it, and run it once. The result should be .vbk, plus, tiny .vib. After that, you can create a backup job and map it to the resulting files.

Thanks.
DrakeLennox
Novice

Post by DrakeLennox »

Hi,

Thank you, bot its doesnt work for me.

my case:
ServerA - LocationA > Local Veeam Server > Default Backup Job
ServerB - LocationB > Local Veeam Server > Default Backup Job
ServerC - LocationC > Local Veeam Server > blank for testing > i want to ceate a backup copy job with all our VMs on LocationA & LocationB - i can´t do a full backup with our Internet Connections

my test:
Location A > ServerA > Created 1 Backup Copy Job of my Default Backup Job > 1 Restorepoint (last night) > Export to USB Disk ( i was there today )
Location B > ServerB > Created 1 Backup Copy Job of my Default Backup Job > 1 Restorepoint (last night) > Export to USB Disk ( i was there today )
Location C > ServerC > Our Headquater / my office > Import of both Jobs (1 Respository) > Created 1 New Backup Copy Job with Servers from A&B > Map it to - SetA

With "map to" i just can do it one to one. SetB stays in "imported" but i need a way to merge SetA & SetB to save disk space and using just 1 Backup Copy Job for all in the future.

some ideas?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What about using this workaround? Thanks.
DrakeLennox
Novice

Post by DrakeLennox » 2 people like this post

yes, thats working!
v.Eremin wrote:I believe you can create a couple of dummy backup jobs (one per backup copy job), map them to the files created backup copy jobs. Once you do that, create a new backup copy job and select dummy backup jobs as its source. Run it once. The result should be a "collective" backup copy job. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks for coming back and confirming that the proposed workaround has done the trick for you; much appreciated!