Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
randy
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Randy Smith

Up-to-date guidance on replicating vCenter VM?

Post by randy »

We are evaluating Veeam and love it so far! Great documentation and forum support! In addition to great functionality, of course. I've researched this forum and Veeam documentation but feel like I need some up-to-date confirmation/clarification on replicating vCenter VM.

Environment
2 eSXI 5.5 hosts, each at different site
100 VMs
vCenter running on Win2012 R2 with SQL Server 2012 SP1
Veeam 7 Patch 4 on a Win2012R2 box with SQL 2014 Express Edition

I understand with this version of Veeam B&R, we can replicate vCenter VM without pointing VEEAM to the ESXi host (in our case it wouldn't matter because we don't do vMotion). What is the proper, reliable way to replicate it? What settings or other considerations?

I ready something about Veeam excluding the VCDB and one other newbie asked the same question as me. if it excludes the DB how does will the vCenter replica work?

Also, does anyone know if vCenter reacts OK to ReIP? Any considerations there?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Up-to-date guidance on replicating vCenter VM?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello and welcome to our community forums!
randy wrote:I understand with this version of Veeam B&R, we can replicate vCenter VM without pointing VEEAM to the ESXi host (in our case it wouldn't matter because we don't do vMotion). What is the proper, reliable way to replicate it? What settings or other considerations?
Yes, that's correct. You can replicate/backup vCenter Server without adding standalone hosts to the vCenter Server, just create the job and run it as any other job you have.
randy wrote:I ready something about Veeam excluding the VCDB and one other newbie asked the same question as me. if it excludes the DB how does will the vCenter replica work?
What SQL Server version are you running with your vCenter Server database? Veeam, indeed, detects the vCenter Server database and applies a different logic to the backup process, no manual steps should not be required.
randy wrote:Also, does anyone know if vCenter reacts OK to ReIP? Any considerations there?
You can try our Virtual lab/On-demand Sandbox to play with vCenter Server network settings and confirm that all services are up and running, but re-ip operation should not cause any issues given that all DNS records are updated as well.
randy
Influencer

Post by randy »

Wow, thanks for quick reply!
What SQL Server version are you running
see orig post: SQL 2014 Express Edition
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I was referring to the vCenter Server database, but you have answered my question anyway and are good to go :)
randy wrote:vCenter running on Win2012 R2 with SQL Server 2012 SP1
randy
Influencer

Post by randy »

Thanks, Vitaliy
SGL3
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: SGL3

Post by SGL3 »

Hi Vitaliy,

Can you elaborate further or provide documentation on how this can be done? My understanding is If you point Veeam to vCenter and try to recover/boot a replicated VM at the remote site (vCenter in this case) you would be unable to do so since vCenter is not up and running yet. Chicken and egg situation.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, you would need to recover/failover vCenter server manually first.