Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cdicks
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Copy Synthetic

Post by cdicks »

Hey,

I've created a backup copy job to send the backups to another site and creates archive. Everything is working as intended, however, when it starts to create a synthetic full restore, everything grinds to a halt.

It looks like the data gets pulled from the remote repository to the Veeam backup server, transformed, and then sent back to the remote repo.

Is there anyway to make this more efficient? Can i setup a server in the remote location that does this transform job? Is this what a WAN accelerator does?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Synthetic

Post by foggy »

What kind of target repository for the backup copy job do you have and how do you add it to Veeam B&R console?
cdicks
Novice
Liked: never

Post by cdicks »

It is a CIFS share hosted on a Thecus NAS box. I've just added it as a backup repository

Looks like i may have found a solution though. I've created a proxy in the secondary site and have set it as the proxy for that backup repository. I'm going to start running the backup copy job now but i feel like this will fix my issue
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, having a proxying server in remote site should allow synthetic activity to stay local (on remote site). Thanks.